Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to put my pup down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Grim-Reaper, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Her quality of life has become bad. She has hip problems. To old to do much but drug her up or put her out of her misery. She turned 12 Sept 1.

She is a white German Sheppherd. I have had her since she was 5 weeks old. Been a wonderful pet but the last few weeks she has been hurting. Not eating much and lost a lot of weight. I think she is ready.

I usualy put my pets in the earth in my yard but she is just to big. Before she lost the weigh she was around 110lb. I am guessing she is down to around 85-90 now. Ground is so hard here I would have to rent a back hoe to dig a hole big enough for her. Going to have to let the Vet take care of her remains.

This is tearing me up. I knew it was coming but tried to put it off. Looks like I cant pretend she will get feeling better any longer. Can't get her to go out anymore. Just lies there in pain.

Going to take her in Thursday and do the thing I have dreaded for years. Toughest decision I have had to make yet. My oldest daughter is really going to take it hard. So am I. Youngest is still not old enough to comprehend what I have to do. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

To really make it crappy Tomorrow is my Birthday. So My birth day will also remind me of loosing my pup for the next few years. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bummer Grimmy.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Im sorry man. I couldnt imaging having to do that, it must be so hard for you to think about. All the best with the family and i hope everything turns out for the best

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

This kind of stuff sux... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

That sucks. Losing a dog is never an easy thing, especially when you have to make the decision to put them to sleep. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I had to put my Yellow lab that I had for 15 years down many years ago and it was one of the hardest thing to do. But it was the right thing to do... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifI feel for ya dude... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that, Grim. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That is no fun at all. Tough, tough decision. I dread that day.

Memories will last forever, and before you know it you'll have Reaper Pup#2! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Be strong and know that you are doing the right thing.

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<gives grim a man hug>

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

11. Grim-Reaper

Here is a picture of my pup Leisel. [​IMG]

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ahh, man.

Lil buggers are so much more than just pets.
    They are part of the family, lil furry family members.

It just tears me up, I can't imagine how hard it must be.
    Your doing the right thing, tho'.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Damn, thats a bummer grim /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. landsmasher

If I could make just one suggestion. If you would like to make one last try to put it off for a couple of years, try taking him into a hot springs or a juaccuzi and do it for 30 minutes a day for about 3 days and see what happens. What you do is get the dog in and just support him by his chest and belly and let him do his swimming thing but restrain him from getting out. Keep him in there for 10 minutes at a time and then let him out to shake off. Do it once or twice a day for 3 days and see what happens... I got 3 more years out of my last dog doing that....

Couldn't hurt...

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    If I could make just one suggestion. If you would like to make one last try to put it off for a couple of years, try taking him into a hot springs or a juaccuzi and do it for 30 minutes a day for about 3 days and see what happens. What you do is get the dog in and just support him by his chest and belly and let him do his swimming thing but restrain him from getting out. Keep him in there for 10 minutes at a time and then let him out to shake off. Do it once or twice a day for 3 days and see what happens... I got 3 more years out of my last dog doing that....

Couldn't hurt...

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could do that but that's where I am now. This started about 3 years ago. The poor girl hasn't been eating for the last couple weeks. She cant stand for more then a few minutes and often we have to help her to her feet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Last night I managed to get her to go out side to go to the bathroom. She did her buisness and couldn't walk back to the house (30ft). I had to hold her up so she could make it back in out of the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Unfortunatly it's time. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. landsmasher

Then it's time...

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Damn, that's always hard. To perhaps make it easier on you and your family, you ought to see if you can find a place to put a grave. That way her memory could live on, and you could visit when you want.

John

18. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I can relate (unfortunately). My cat was hit by a car Monday night. They thought he would be okay, but he went downhill these last 2 days. My brother is bringing him back to the vet as we speak...don't know if he will be coming home. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Sorry about your Shepard. I had a white German Shepard that was our family pet when I was a kid, greatest dog we ever had. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

first off,let me say happy birthday,although it probably isnt right now.i too can relate,as i had to put one down after having her for 10 years.its never easy loosing a member of the family,but you are doing the right thing to end the suffering.

20. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Been there twice. Big German Sheppard named Captain. Cappy was about 6 when we got a black Lab named Midnight. Had to take them down when it came time. Cap was about 10 & midnight was 10 or 11. I took them to their vet. It's the best way for the animal. I got Midnight cremated and have her ashes in my bedroom next to my nightstand. That dog was my best friend from the time I was 12... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif