Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TIME TO REBUILD MY 383 STROKER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 383STROKERINAK5, Oct 13, 2002.

1. 383STROKERINAK5

383STROKERINAK5 Registered Member

HEY GUYS, ITS TIME TO REBUILD THE 383. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU COULD TELL ME THE SPECS OF A GOOD RUNNING YET SMOG LEGAL 383 SETUP. I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA SO THE SMOG IS VERY NECESSARY. I'M ON A BUDGET BUT THERE'S ALWAYS MORE ROOM ON THE CREDIT CARD SO JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD DO. CURRENTLY IT IS A FULL ROLLER MOTOR THAT IS BALANCED AND BLUE PRINTED. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Is there room on that card to buy me some new axles or anything like that?

I just got done rebuilding my stroker last week. What needs to be done on yours? You said it's already balanced, so that leads me to believe you've already either

a.) purchased all of your parts and had them balanced professionally, or

b.) it was previously balanced and you blew the damn thing up and you need to redo everything.

I just finished mine. I only have about 25 miles on it right now, but it runs really strong. I'm really happy with how well it turned out. Once I had all the parts laying there and ready to go it, it only took about 3 hours to reassemble everything and about 2 hours to reinstall it.

Is this just your wheeling truck, or do you drive it on the streets as well. I only ask this because I'm wondering if you need to abide by california's laws.

3. 383STROKERINAK5

PAUL,
    JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT AXLES YOU NEED AND I'LL HAVE 'EM SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR...HAHAHA. =) SORRY MAN, WISH I COULD!
    ANYWAY, YES IT HAS TO BE STREET LEGAL AND YES I AM REBUILDING MY CURRENT STROKER. IT ONLY HAS TO BE STREET LEGAL FOR ONE DAY EVERY 2 YEARS, IM WILLING TO RIP ALL THE SMOG CRAP OFF AND MAKING IT A MEAN MOTHA UNTIL SMOG TIME.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO? PHIL /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

That depends on what parts you need!
    Are you replacing every nut and bolt in that mother? Or are you just replacing what needs to be replaced?

Let me know and I can give you a better idea of what to do with it. Also, let me know if you've already got your parts.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally belive the key to the power is compression. New pistons !!!! I've ran 10.2 to 1 on 91 oct. pump gas with out any problems. Match your cam, heads, and intake manifold. Also have a good exhaust system. Let that motor breath !!!!! I do like the MSD ignition, it give a complete burn by firing the plugs sevreal times during the ignition stroke. Just like building a hot rod motor only use a camshaft that puts out the power in the lower RPM's. Also use a intake manifold that has an off idel responce. 202 intake valves are to big for your use (202 good for higher RPM) I'd use 194 intake 156 exhaust with 3 angle valve jobbie. Sence you've got room for a deep sump oil pan, think about the Melling Hi volume, AND Hi pressure oil pump. I could go on and on ......

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with you , be carefull on pushing the compression ratio if your running taller gears on a heavier vehicle or one that takes long durations of a lot of load, they tend to overheat.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Your right, I didn't think about that, so 9.5 to 1 might be better.

8. 383STROKERINAK5

RIGHT NOW I DONT HAVE ANY PARTS FOR THE NEW MOTOR AND "YES" I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE AS MUCH OF THE OLD MOTOR AS I CAN. THE CURRENT MOTOR HAS A COMPRESSION OF 9.5-1. DOES THE MACHINE WORK ON THE BLOCK HAVE TO BE REDONE?(DECKING,HONING, AND ALL THAT STUFF) I ALSO HAVE THE MSD6 IGNITION FROM THE CURRENT MOTOR. PHIL /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check to see if it' built up a ridge. I'd hone nomatter what.

10. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

you want the specs for the 388 LT1 me and a friend built for a 94 Z28 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifor the 388 carb motor we building next weekend to put in my K5?

11. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

hey
    im from hanford
    where do u wheel?

12. 383STROKERINAK5

BLAZNREBEL,
    I WANT THE SPECS ON BOTH OF THOSE MOTORS....PLEASE. DO U THINK THEY WILL BE SMOG LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA? WHERE ARE YOU FROM ANYWAYS? PHIL /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

WHEELIN72,
    I USUALLY WHEEL IN PISMO BUT EVERY SO OFTEN WE RUN UP TO JOSE BASIN OR JUST FIND SOME MUD HERE IN THE CITY. WHAT ABOUT YOU? WHERE DO YOU WHEEL? PHIL /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif