Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to replace fuel pump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GOK5, Nov 28, 2002.

1. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Was running fine until I ran 2 tanks of gas cleaner. Then engine started to occasional stumble on idle, then escalated to doing it while driving. This seems to happen only after 1 to 2 min. after starting. I check the basics (plugs/wires/repl fuel fltr/EGR) and after a search of this board was thinking fuel pump? Now today, during T-day driving it's now stumbling, then backfiring thru exhaust. Could this be a plugged catalytic conv? I am burning a lot of oil (engine due for repl in spring). Thanks for any replys

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Could be the cat. Does it have a rotten egg smell ???

3. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, a clogged cat would make it stumble.

-Matt

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

What year K5 is it? Fill out your profile. It will help people to help you. I will assume it is Fuel Injected. Hook up an in-line fuel pressure gauge, you need to take out the fuel filter and the adapter goes in it's place. Check the pressure at idle and also rev the engine. You should have 16 PSI (I think-Maybe someone else could confirm this) If you have less then that it could be a problem pump or a clogged fuel line. To check the cat. unbolt the y-pipe and let it hang away from the manufolds and drive the truck. It will be loud, but if the truck runs good check for a clogget cat or muffler, or a critter that has moved into your exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. GOK5

GOK5 Registered Member

Thanks guys. I tried to update profile but it won't let me.