Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing 4.3 TBI S-10 (need help fast)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, May 5, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I dropped this into the s-10 forum too, but need help soon. I installed a crate motor in this '89 S-10 Blazer in exchange for a paint job on my K5. The old motor blew up and this is supposed to be a little surprise for his wife when she gets backs from outta town because its her s-10.

I can't time the damn thing! What wire do I disconnect. The sticker is gone and I'm timing this thing like a big TBI blazer. It has no guts and runs hot when I drive it. I unplugged a single wire connector over by the brake booster and timed it to 0 degrees. I plug it back in and it runs as smooth as could be, but no power. It can hardly pull a hill in 1st gear. I look later and the wire I unplugged was black with a white stripe. Isn't it supposed to be brown with a white stripe? There is a two wire connector next to it that has brown wires, one with a white and the other with a red stripe. Do I unplug this? Thanks alot.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've been hitting the search engines like crazy, and have an idea. What I've done seems to be correct, outside of one thing. I saw a casual mention of disconnecting the battery to clear the ECM here and there while I was searching. This makes sense. I haven't unhooked the battery since I got it running. When I first hit it with the light and wire unplugged, it was doing around 20 degrees BTDC. I of course backed it all the way to 0 degrees. Could the ECM think that original 20 degrish BTDC setting when I first started it as timed. This would mean that the engine is going around 20 degrees retarded , which of course would produce poor power and lots of heat! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

If you're interested, his wife is home and the Blazer is sitting in their driveway, still not working right. Needless to say, he may be sleeping on the couch tonight. I called over to his place with the idea and he said she's not too pleased. I got go over there and try this out so hopefully he can sleep on the bed tommorow.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It is a brown wire as you said and it is under the carpet by the passangers feet on mine (a 2.8 but is is TBI)

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Brown wire with a white (or is it black?) stripe. The connecter is hidden under the carpet, just below the heater. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I have NO idea why they didn't leave the connector under the hood, where it's obviously easier to access. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif