Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing advance questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if I need to modify the rate at which the advance comes in. The power band on my Jimmy seems to go "flat" around 2500 RPM. I was wondering if recurving the distributor would help? I am wondering if maybe headers would help to? I am running the original manifolds and single exhaust. I rebuilt the engine 2 years ago.

Thanks

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Headers and a decent exhaust system would probably help quite a bit. At higher rpms they would help the engine get rid of the exhaust better than the stock manifolds.

Recurving the dist. might help too, make sure the mechanical advance is not frozen up to start with.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I found the mechanical advance on my old 350 was all gummed up and not working at all. 15 minutes to disassemble and clean and the difference in performance and drivability was impressive! My vacuum advance was also not working...that cost about $14 to replace. I'd check that first before trying to re-curve.

Rene

4. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Your right, I should check to see if I'm getting any advance at all. I didn't rebuild the distributor when I did the motor. I also converted it from Automatic to Manual trans.

5. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

get yourself a re-curve kit before you take the thing apart. while you have the cap off compare the springs in the kit to the springs you have on the counterweights in there. if the ones you are running are way stiffer go ahead and switch them out. there's nothign wrong with a quick advance. my dad is a mechaninc and has several mechanic friends and I have always been told by them to run the lightes springs in the kit. also from an advance point of veiw, I was also told to take the stock advance and throw it out the window. if it runs best at 8* then run it there, if it runs best at 40*, run it there.

-Scott