Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing an engine using the ALDL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Jan 29, 2003.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I have an 88' 350 TBI engine in my 85' Blazer. I used a Painless wiring kit took hook it up. Now on the original wiring there was a disconnect on the Black/Tan?? wire going to the ignition mod. that would allow you to time the engine. I have been told and have briefly read about pluging into the 1st and Last port on the top of the ALDL will allow you to time the truck the same way is this true??
    Or should i just cut the Black/Tan on the Painless that i have and just reconnected it when i am done??

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The only way I know of to time it is to disconnect the black/tan wire. I have never heard of timing it using the ALDL.
    I would just cut the wire and put in a water proof connnector in it. . Usually painless is pretty good about wireing. Have you checked the whole harness. The stock location for the disconnect is usually behind the brake booster. Maby they put one in somewhere.

Re: the ALDL ports you mentioned The first port is for the TCC lockup and the last port on the top is Chassis Ground. Neither will affect the timing.
    [​IMG]

ALDL Layout

3. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I went through the harness even before i installed it and no disconnect.

4. unsane

unsane Guest

does anyone have the "pats list" for the aldl cable? I had it once but my computer crashed and I lost it. It had all the radioshack part numbers for an easy shopping spree.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Try this site, should have everything you need. web page

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know you can do it, I just don't remember which 2.
    The guy at the smog station did it in my car when he was checking the timing.
    If tomorrow I don't see an answer for you here I will get it for you.

7. unsane

unsane Guest

thats the site man! Thanks I just couldnt remember it.

8. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Painless is not the harness to go with. When will people learn that?

You should time it by adding a 1 pin weatherpak connector in-line with the tan/black wire. The method of disabling timing advance w/ the ALDL changes other items in the way the vehicle runs. While it would work, there's a reason they provided the disconnect in the tan/blk wire.

Matthew

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well shorting out A and B terminals with a 4k ohm resistor will put the ECM into Bypas mode
    I guess it could be timed that way but I dont recomend it.

10. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

[[Painless is not the harness to go with. When will people learn that?]]

Enlighten me then.
    Was is wrong with the Painless kit?? Who makes it better?? I have had no trouble with the Painless thus far. Minus the minor "no disconnect" for the timing.

11. jmd

jmd Registered Member

They fuse things incorrectly (ganging them up on fewer fuses than factory) which leads to hidden drivability problems you'll never track down. Your problem is another prime example: They saved fifty cents and now you have to go and fix it. Their TPI harnesses are by default "limp home" which is meant to run without VSS without throwing codes.

What's wrong with them? How about what is right with them? I wouldn't give them a quarter to make a phone call if my car broke down. They have been doing the same cheap tricks for years. They recently revised their LT1 harnesses, in short ADMITTING that they were done incorrectly on the first several years.

Yet people still will spend $ to run their harness instead of $150 on a Helms and whatever on a factory harness. Interesting. You pay more, you get less!

Matthew

12. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Helms?? Never heard of them. Where do you find them?? I have really never have heard of any other companies other then GM or bone yard to get a harness. I would be willing to try out another company. I through down $312 for the Painless, something cheaper and something better is definately worth checking into.