Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing and battery cable question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Jun 25, 2006.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

still workin on getting the blazer fired up.... is backfiring through the exhaust retarded or advanced? I was thinking retarded because of the way the valves open but i'm not sure.

Also my pausitive battery cable is brand new but the alternator wire is too short... anybody know where I could find a 4 gauge crimp?

2. 96RAM85CHEVY

96RAM85CHEVY Registered Member

crimp from any car audio store

backfiring through exhaust is timing/ retarded

3. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I had the problem, they told me I was retarded.
    :D

They were right.

:crazy:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what I use...

When I have to splice a thick wire like a battery cable,and any other wire up to 10 ga, I use copper tubing that has an inside diameter large enough to slide over the cable(s),and smash it flat with a hammer...then solder it with a propane torch,and rosin core solder..I make "lugs" the ame way,by drilling a hole in the flattened tubing,if I need one to bolt to a winch,for example..

Usually I use heat shrink tubing,or electrical tape to cover the "spliced" area,and cover it with rubber or vinyl hose or that crinkle wire loom stuff GM uses factory to keep it from chafing and shorting out...:crazy:

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

autozone on the cable..4 or 5 bucks and no effort lol

6. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Thats a good idea right there... doubt copper would pull out especially after soldering it.

I was at autozone and kragen.... none of the alternator cables will reach my alternator. All those kids are stoners and have no clue what the hell you mean when you use fancy terms like "4 gauge" or "inline fuel pump". I'm about sick of wasting my time at autozone... seems like the same thing everytime I go in there. They have all the parts in the world for rice burners but not nearly enough parts for my chunk of steel.