Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing and harmonic balancer question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chris672, Apr 30, 2002.

1. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I took my truck to get smogged today and had them do a pre-test to see if it was going to pass. The emissions were a little too high and the guy checked my egr and said that the solinoid was bad. He was also going to check the timing but he said that he couldn't because he couldn't find the timeing mark and he said that the H-balancer might have slipped and might need to be replaced. Does this make sense? What is he talking about?

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

The outer ring on the balancer that has the timing marks spins or slips seperate from the balancer its self so it is impossible to time it using the factory marks .I have always just replaced the balancer when this happens.You can always remark TDC so you will know were it is at but if it slipped once it will do it again.

3. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

Got it. thanks!

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Remember TDC is at the woodruff key. Find this, bring Cylinder up to TDC use some white out, and draw a line up to your balancer. There you go. A new TDC mark. I do this because the 400 balancers are expensive!

It may not be EXACT, but excluding a new balancer, it probably never will be.