Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing chain noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jan 31, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

I just got done installing a newer 350 into my blazer, it was in alot better shape than my previous 350 and ran great in the truck i pulled it out of, all i did was clean it up, re-gasket everything except the head gaskets, and i replaced the timing chain, no big deal ive done this i dont know how many times. i get the thing all done get it to fire up and about a minute after running it started squeling really loud, i checked the belts and ended up pulling them off and the noise is coming from the timing chain cover, i am planning on pulling it apart tonight, is there anything i should look for?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Was the balancer fully home? If it wasn't it may have let the lower sprocket move out towards the cover and let it rub.:dunno:

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

That may be it, because at lower rpm the crank pully looks like it was bent just a little bit but at higher rpm the noise goes away and the balancer straightens out, i will see if i can tighten it a little more, thanks