Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing Chain Play?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91GMCSuburban, Nov 15, 2004.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Need to know the amount of play a timing chain should have as installed?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Not sure of the actual measurement, and I couldnt find it for you anywhere. I just know it by feel. There should be slight movement side to side if you move it with your hand. Overall it should be fairly tight, using a slight amount of pressure to move. Kinda hard to explain, try telling us how much play you have and we will go from there.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have it apart, just replace it. Timing chains are $20, it's not worth it not to change it.

4. 91GMCSuburban

My mechanic said that there was between 15 and 20 degrees of play. And to him, this was just fine. Just looking for a second opinion.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why wouldn't you change it if you're in there?

6. 91GMCSuburban

Cost. If I can save the money and put it into the engine I am building... He quoted me $250 to change the chain. Because of this, I wanted him to check it first.

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

That is an outragous price assuming he already has access to it. I would change it anyway since they are cheap, it should only take him 10 minutes to do if he already has access to it.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Every chevy motor I've owned needed(and got)a new timing chain and gears--mostly due to the junk nylon toothed cam gear--if your motor has that style gear,get rid of it--all of my motors had the nylon teeth stuck in the oil pump screen,and more than 1 tooth probably made it into the pump.I did the timing chain and gears in the 305 I put in my 79 C10 due to this,and a new oil pump and drivshaft(steel sleeve instead of the plastic POS factory one),it only cost 22 bucks for Cloyes timing chain and gears,12.99 for a stock melling oil pump,5.99 for the driveshaft/steel coollar dewhickey at autozone--well worth it to me for peice of mind on the highway--and I am the cheapest &(^$$ there is /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif--some things you just shouldnt skimp on! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    I agree 250 bucks is a lot of cash to put the chain and gears on--even if it meant pulling the radiator and water pump and timing cover,its still pretty steep,unless its in a van or a really difficult truck to work on.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif