Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing cover/oil pan 101, please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 25, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

What do you do when installing your timing cover for a perfect seal? This will be my 3rd time in the last month. And hopefully the last time in my life. It's a 1piece oil pan gasket, and your typical aluminum timing cover. I need to know what to do step by step if anybody can help. I'll be cleaning the surfaces up for now. Thanks

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I used RTV sealant with my gasket when I did mine...Seems to be fine. check the cover where the gasket goes to ensure its not bent...sorry, but thats all I got. Hope it helps... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What i had to do to get a perfect seal is install the timing cover first, then the oil pan. I use permatex that came in a half pint can (brush mounted to the inside of lid)brushed that stuff on, gets tacky somewhat quick and dries damn near like concrete.