Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing cover

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by protechk5, Mar 23, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ok so Im doing my water pump, got the water pump off along with that plate that it is connected to. But I think I took too many bolts out, and the last cover or thing that has the gears in it, well I was trying to pull the crank seal, and I pulled that cover lose enough where water started draining between that and the block. Does that mean I have to take that whole thing off, to put a new gasket on? I was thinking about doing it anyways but I couldnt figure it out, and saw that you have to pull the gears off.

Edit- Well Im going to go ahead and replace the timing chain and gears, any tricks and info of doing that? As long as the crank or cam shaft doesnt move, can I just pull the old ones off and slip the new ones on?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

There is a mark on the timing gears, I believe it's a dot on most of them, at least the ones I have replaced.
    Lign up the dots before you remove the gears, first to see if the timing on the chain was correct or if it was optimized, if it was driving nice before you want to eplicate whatever they had done before.
    I made that mistake before, it drove fine and I decided to change them out and noticed it wasn't quite ligned up, thought that the chain jumped a tooth ot 2.
    Turns out it was timed for optimum performance, when I put the new set I timed according to spec, and lost a bunch of power.
    :doah:

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah well I got it all back together, the only thing iam worried about is all the gaskets sealing right. also the oil pump rod, theres no special way it goes up in the block is there? it slid right up in there so hopefully it is good.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the oil pump just slides in like you said. :) i had a heck of a time with leaks after i first rebuilt my engine. i pulled it out on friday to deal with all the leaks and went crazy with RTV and new gaskets! :D and a couple cans of engine enamel!

it's going back in tomorrow:

[​IMG]

it's important that you got some good rtv in where the timing cover, engine block and oil pan all come together. also, when i did my front main, i put RTV all around the outside of it before i put it in the cover. mine leaked real bad from there before, so this should take care of it. :) i also went after the rear main cap w/ sealant and rtv, as well as rtv on both sides of all the gaskets i installed. :haha: should be good to go for a few hundred years and a few million miles! :D