Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing Disconnect*Thanks*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by js4x4, Jul 18, 2004.

1. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Where is this connector so I can set the timing on my TBI 305??
    original post:
    Ok, I straigthened out my vacuum lines (i think?) and went to check the ol' timing, and it seems to want me to believe its at about 28 degrees BTDC to idle! Now, I'm no Mr. Goodwrench, but if I try to adjust it down to it stalls out about 15 degrees...now if i give it gas and turn it down it does better...maybe 10 degrees. I read somewhere (man have done a lot of reading on this site today!) maybe its a sensor problem? My temp guage seemed stuck at 210, so replaced that, and it shows a temp change now when the thermostat opens, yeah! I want to say i read maybe change out the O2 sensor. I unfortunately don't have one of those fancy coder things to plug in to the ol CCC. It stalls AFTER it gets warm (operating temp)mainly at lights when idleing it stalls..she fires right back up, and after 30 secs, idles rough and stalls again. Its an 87' 305 w/TBI in an 85' FS Blazer in case you were wondering. I can't help but wonder if I routed the vacuum lines wrong, but then again it did this before I decided to intimately get inside my blazer and redo the head gaskets...so nothing has changed really. Any advice? Thanks all

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Dang Gremlins...stall prob

I am no computer control expert , but there is something you unplug to set the base timing , and then after that the computer does the rest . I know someone else will chime in here to tell ya how /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You ARE setting base timing with the timing disconnect unplugged, right?

It very well could be O2, with stalling at lights, and only when at operating temp. But I'd really look at everything, to verify it's all in working order. Of course, a scanner makes this all easier.

Doesn't one of the major chains let you borrow a scanner, or is it just a code reader?

4. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

geez..timing disconnect..I pulled the vac. advance line, thought that was all i needed to do. But, at operating temp w or w/o it attached its stalling. if I turn the dist. it does fine...i must be missing something vital in this process /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Ok, I just looked at my worthless Hanes book, and theres a sentence about disconnecting the 'set timing conector' but it fails to mention where this mystery item is. I have an 84 front end, which has the label for a carberated engine...so it doesn't mention anything about this. Geez, I am not used to this TBI and computer stuff...thanks again for any input.

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

So, where can i find the set time connector on this beast? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On a tbi rig, there IS no vacuum advance line. If you've got TBI, and a vacuum advance distributor, it's wrong.

On that note, I believe on TBI trucks the connector is located near the brake booster. One single wire, brown perhaps?

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: Timing Disconnect??

The timing bypass wire is a Tan wire with a black stripe and a weather tite connector that sticks out of a big wire loom near the brake booster. You pull the connector apart to set timing.
    But
    As Dorian said if you have a vacume advance dist on a computer controled TBI engine it will never run right.
    you must have a TBI Dist with TBI.

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Timing Disconnect??

Yeah, it doesn't have vacuum advance...spaced out and for some dumb reason pulled the EGR vacuum line (i know, i know-in no way resembles vac. advance...and its not even touching the distributor!). Thanks, I'll check for a brown wire near the brake booster.