Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing for a 89 T/A vin 8

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tunedportk5, May 10, 2005.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I need to know the timing for the engine in the blazer it came out of a 89 T/A it's a 350 with vin 8, I had a picture of it and now I can't find it. I wanted to know its right before the smog check tomarrow.

2. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

If it's a TPI engine, then the timing should be 0*.

3. tunedportk5

yea it's TPI, is that for california emissions.

4. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

I don't know for Cali emissions systems, sorry. All the TPI's I've delt with, I've set at 0 and let the computer take care of the rest. That's dealing with a stock style setup, whether it be in the original vehicle or a transplant. You can manimuplate the computer to take more initial timing, but it typically works best at 0 for a stock setup. My 63 SS Chevy II has a bone stock TPI 350 from a 'vette. I set it up with the stock chip, no cats and set the timing at 0 and will pass a Texas sniffer. Wish I could be more help to ya. You might try searching thirdgen.org for more tuning info.

5. tunedportk5

I looked around and I think the norm is going to be 0. Mine was set at 5 btdc but I think I'll go with 0. I found a picture of a plate from a refree station that they put on and it don't have timing on it so it might not even be an issue but just in case I'll choose 0.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not entirely sure, but fairly sure that the timing is 4* BTDC. I had a TPI camaro engine in another blazer and IIRC 4* BTDC is what the scanner called for.