Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing marks on Balancer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Oct 4, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Its a 400sb, and it has 2 hash marks on the balancer about 2-3 inchs from each other. Which one is TDC?

Thanks, Sam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I will take a shot at this and give the answer I got when I asked this question a while back.

Depends on where the timing tab is. Sounds like a universal 400 balancer. If the timing tab is located more towards the right side (looking from the front) I would use the one on the right looking at it from the front. If it is on top I would use the one on the left. (again, looking from the front) They put the tab in a couple of different locations, it depends on the accessories (A/C, air pump, P/S, etc.) and vehicle application as to where it (timing tab) is mounted.

Hope that helps.

John

3. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Disable your ignition, remove #1 spark plug, put your finger on the hole, have a buddy tap the engine over slowly until you feel the compression, then check your marks, the one lined up to your timing tab should be the one. Hope this helps.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually this way you get close but if the marks are close you want more acurate, so you pop the distributor cover after you mark where your #1 spark plug wire is and then when the rotor points at that position you should have your mark at or just around TDC, I am assuming your tryin to find out so you can adjust your timing so I can't say exactly on the mark.
    There are more acurate ways but they involve poping the valve cover and I don't think you eed that.
    IceMan

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions!! I replaced the timing cover and tab. Also pulled the distributor to swap intake out... I know the balancer only goes on one way so I was hoping the timing mark would get me where I need to be for TDC. I've got one of those Piston stop tools but its hard to find TDC with it. You turn the engine one way and then around the opposite way and its not on the same mark...

I was setting the timing last night with what I thought was the right mark and the distributor is turned about a quarter of the way from straight ahead!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That tool is the best way to do it.
    You had the answer right there, you turn it all the way one one side you put a mark, then you turn it all the way on the other side, and you put a mark, the TDC is exactly in the middle of those two points.
    IceMan

7. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Ok cool!! I'll just recheck that and reset the distributor and go from there!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif