Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing marks went awol.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jan 13, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my '82 350 has no visible timing marks. i looked all over and cleaned it up, to make sure i didn't miss it stamped somewhere. pretty much every other sbc, and most other engines i've worked on had the marks on a little plate. i don't know if the prevoius owner removed it or if this engine is different. i can set by ear if i need to, but i prefer numbers to guesswork. anyone know the part # for the plate? thanx

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Look down between the water pump and the timing cover, they're there.

Don't set it by ear. I don't care how good you are....it won't be right.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

some are spot welded to face of tming cover and older ones use two bolt holes driver side of cover and commonly dont get put back on

what year is engine ? what is it ? stamping code ?

8" balancer ?

look closely with flashlight on face of timing cover for cut off tab or weld spots or anything

what 84 said, look like right down behind waterpump area down there, look around til you see top side of balancer maybe hair towards driver side, tab should be right there

4. 78blazaer

78blazaer Registered Member

I have a 78 Blazer with a 350 motor. Same problem, no timing marks.

A co-worker told me that the best way to find out the Top Dead Center TDC is hand crank the engine in one direction until the number one piston is all the way up, then measure where the pully (balancer) line stops. Then turn the engine to the other direction until the number 1 piston reach TDC, mark where the balancer line stops. The center between the two marks is your TDC.

From there you can pretty much make your own timing marks.

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Mine is also the same anyone have any information on vaccum timing a 350?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Same here...

The 86 305 motor I put in my truck has no timing marks either(no pointer anyway--it does have a line on the harmonic balancer)--I think someone might have lost the pointer when they had the timing cover off,but a friend who works at a GM dealer said many trucks and vans didnt come with a pointer(my motor was from a G10 van),I set mine by ear and with a vacuum gauge,I must have it pretty close,it doesnt ping,even without an EGR valve,and it has good power and decent mileage..

.I just advanced the timing until I reached the maximum vacuum at idle on the gauge,and retarded it until it dropped one inch on the gauge--after a test ride,I decided to retard it a little more,as it was pinging a little,probably because I blocked the EGR valve off so my edelbrock carb would fit,and it seems to run good where it is--I would like a way to see if its really timed right though...

Another mystery on this motor is the fact I can see no place to put an oxogen sensor!!--no holes in the exhaust manifolds,no "bung" in the y-pipe,NOTHING!!--How the hell did the computer the van had with a feedback Q-jet get any info to adjust the fuel air mixture??--the van also had a multi-prong module HEI with no vacuum advance--I put my edelbrock carb on it and an early HEI with a vacuum can on it,and "de-smogged" it,so its not a big deal,but its got me baffled--I thought all EFI and feedback carbs needed an O2 sensor??..

7. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

so what type of gauge are you using, where did you get it from, not exactly sure how to do it. Anyone know of a web site that gives great instructions for the the retarded like myself?

Thanks

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Thanks ryoken..............

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

they really aren't there.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who has run into this timing mark issue. i checked for the marks in all those places before posting the original question, and again after seeing your responses, just to be sure. as far as i can tell, there are no timing marks. i like some of the suggestions offered. thanx.

regarding the 305 out of the van, i'm not sure how much of the original exhaust you have, and were able to use, but i know on my '94 c1500, the o2 sensor is well behind the y. it's actually in the straight section of pipe between the y and the cat. don't know if that info helps you any.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not a "feedback carb." It's just a dual rate accellerator pump for when it's really cold outside IIRC. Either way, no computer, and it doesn't adjust fuel mixture significantly.

Computer carbs are CALI ONLY!

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Call up autozone. they have the timing plate for 5 bucks. Bolts to timing chain cover.

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Call up autozone. they have the timing plate for 5 bucks. Bolts to timing chain cover.:cool1:

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Call up autozone they have the timing plate for 5 bucks

bolts to timing chain cover.:cool1:

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm still cornfused!

I used the y-pipe from the van on my truck,and I have the catalitic converter,but didnt use it--no sign of an O2 sensor on either!--and the van did have a computer,or at least something resembling one,under the drivers seat..I assumed all carbs that have wires and a mixture control solenoid were computer controlled(the van was an 86)..guess it dont matter anyway,since I am not using the Q-jet that came with it(I gave it to a friend who needed it) and it seems to run good the way it is....:laugh:

I'm going to buy a new timing mark pointer one of theese days,and time it with the light--it will be interesting to see how close I guessed at it and by using the vacuum gauge..:crazy: