Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing NDistributer Help (Long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Jul 7, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

First off this truck has been sitting for like 4 years. And the distributer was borrowed for a demolition derby car once. But I marked it when I took it out and it ran when I put it in and has been running at a high idle since I pulled it out of the field. So I decided that It needed a tune up. So I replaced my distributer cap/rotar plugs N wires, and fuel filter. I moved the cap when I was doing this so I was out of time. Well it needed to be timed really bad anyway. So I have only done this once before . My chilton says that I want to be at 8B which I belive means 8 before. On my timing tag that would be the 3rd arrow from the left when I am looking down while standing in front of the grill. (Correct?) Well if this is correct then I have another problem. No it seems to idle much better. Like it did when I parked it. However once I put it in gear it seems to have a hesitiation(sp) and when I hit the gas it really has a hesitiation unless I am on it all the way. I am thinking that my vacum advance may be bad. When I accelerate with the timing light on it the mark goes really far to the left ( further before?) Is this supposed to happen and how can I check it out. I looked at the weights and springs under the rotar and they seem ok. A little rusted but they move without to much trouble. Is there anything else that this might be. It is a 1978 400 with the HEI coil in the cap so I don't have points and condensers. So the only other thing would be the weights and the vacum advance. If I am off on any of this let me know. Any ideas or help are greatly appreceted. Ok I am going to go play with this somemore and I wll check back later. Thanks for all your help.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 240K miles and counting (praying)

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The timing marks are in 2* increments so you would want the 4th one from 0 or TDC.
    To check the vac advance have the cap off and apply vacuume to the cannister.
    if you don't have a vacuume pump just suck on the vacuume line(kinda nasty tasting though) and if the cannister is good you will see the arm move.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

So the arm that is attached to the vacum adjust and the weights will move. If it doesn't then that is bad, correct? I hope so because right now I can't get it to move at all. I am assuming it doesn't need much vacum to move it. Thanks for you help.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 With lots of miles

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If it don't move it is bad.
    New ones are cheap.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint