Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing on an 86 pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKSRULE, Oct 27, 2004.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 pickup with a 350 and need some help with the timing. What is the setting? Also do I need to take the vacuum hose off of the dist. when setting the timing?

Also I have an Edelbrock (sp) carb, which vacuum port does the distributor connect to on the front?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

6* BTDC

Harley

3. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Also now that I found the timing pointer do I look through the tube? The pointer has a tube and several hash marks on it.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure,but I think that "tube" is used with a special inductive factory timing device--you use the pointer and its markings to time it with a regular timing light.At least your motor has a pointer--my 86 305 had no evidence of one ever being there--it was a van motor,so you probably couldnt see the timing marks anyway in a van--ever look at a van,all you can see is a huge fan shroud.I had to set the timing by ear,and with a vacuum gauge. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oops--forgot about the vacuum hose question--I have a 1405 edelbrock on my 305--I hooked the vacuum advance to the ported vacuum port(on the passenger side)--but try it both ways,some engines run better with manifold vacuum to the advance(the drivers side port).Mine runs better with ported vacuum,at least it feels like it does to me--I think it has more pickup that way. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif