Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing problem again!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Dec 4, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I adjusted my timng on my 400sb to where i thought it was the best.It starts right up, takes awhile to warm up, then at idle it sounds like i have a cam. Kind of a choppy sound. When i gun it, it sputters a bit then throws me in the back of my seat like it should. The engine is great at all Rpm's but idle. I want to be able to lower the idle speed so its not quite so high. The thing im worried about is if i advance it anymore, i dont want it to make the loud grinding noise when i try to start it. What do yall think i should do.. By the way, new HEI system so i know the distributor and parts arent bad.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How is the vacuum hooked up? Manifold or ported? You might try it hooked up to ported if its not, that way you won't be dealing with so much advance at idle. (and thus not as high RPM's, although that can be changed with the idle speed screw)

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Ill trade you that 400 for a TBI 350, its runs excellent.