Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing Problem - Need Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I just put in a 350 crate motor. I am having trouble getting it timed correctly. The sticker say 4 degrees but I an't get it to run there. It spits fuel out the carb if I even get close. It runs pretty wel if it is about 30 degrees before tdc (just a guess). If I get anywhere near 4 degrees, it fails to run.

What can this be?

I am pretty sure the dist is in right. How well will it run if I put tdc on the exh stroke? Pretty sure I did it right but that would be an easy fix so I am hoping :)

Everything is new. Distributor is rebuilt with a kit. I replaced everything except the mech weights since they did not seem to fit right...

Any ideas why it won't run close to 4 degrees?

2. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

is it HEI? Is the vacuum advance connected? if it is, disconnect it and try to time it then.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You may have mismatched harmonic balancer and crank. There are at least two different combinations and sometimes an engine swap results in the timing mark on the balancer not lining up with the tab connected to the block. One is supposed to be on the DS and the other on the PS.

Check to make sure #1 is actually close to TDC when your tabs line up. You can use the finger on the spark plug hole method or pull the oil pan and watch the #1 piston.

I solved this dilemna with some timing tape from Summit.

Also, make sure you don't have the dial on the timing light advanced.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

It is HEI. I pinched off the line to time it.

I am pretty sure its the correct balancer and the mark does line up. I put in a cardboard plug in the #1 cylinder and it blew out right before the mark lined up.

5. 68MUDSTUD

try completely unhooking you vac advance.all you should have to do is slip it off?

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I always use vise grips to pinch off the line to set timing. Its faster since i don't have to plug the vac line. Most people just let the line hang open but that raises the idle since it has a vac leak...

I guess I'll unplug the line tomorrow and see what happens...

7. 68MUDSTUD

thats how ive always done it, but just my two cents.