Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing problem, need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kwasman, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Kwasman

Kwasman Newbie

I recently put my engine back together and now it won't start. I have fuel and spark but the timing seems way off.I thought maybe it was 180 degrees off so I rotated the gear 180. The result was a loud backfire that blew my mufflers to pieces.I'm thinking maybe the oil pump rotated a little while putting in the distributor so the timing is off.By the way it's HEI. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Remove driver's side valve cover, turn engine over with a ratchet [on the dampner bolt] watch the rocker arm's, watch as exhaust close's, and intake open's, then as it close's, at this point, watch the timing mark on the dampner, rollit up to about 8 to 10 degree's before, t.d.c., then put distributor in, with rotor pointed at no. 1 on the cap.

If the oil pump shaft won't line up, reach in with a Long screwdriver, and turn it until it doe's, distributor will drop in, then tighten holddown clamp a little, set timing with a timing light to where You want it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Kwasman

Kwasman Newbie

thanks alot. I'll give it a shot.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

check for air leaks at the in take and carb.when i put my new crate 350 in, it wouldn't start . so we thought the timing was off 180 also, it ende up being a open port on the back of the carb. the only way it would start and stay running was to have the choke closed. then it ran hot. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Another way to set your timing if you are lazy is to hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole while a buddy bumps the starter. Make sure they only go 1/4 revolution or so. Wait until you feel compression coming out. Then, feel for the piston in the spark plug hole with a screwdriver or something else that will fit in the hole. If it is near the top you are pretty close to TDC. Then install distributor pointed at #1 plug wire as stated above and fine tune with a timing light. This is probably a little ghetto, but it has always worked for me. Make sure you have the wires in the right order on the cap. I put them on in reverse order before and blew a lot of flames out my carb. Looked cool, but it singed my eyebrows and charred my carb.