Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing Problem - NO ONE CAN FIX YET

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jun 13, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 86 Blazer with a 350 GM crate motor I installed 1 yr ago. I have never been able to time it corrctly. Here is the situation.

I have had it at TDC and the dist. rotor pointed at #1. When I use a timing light, the mark on the balancer is not even close to the timing teeth(about the 2 o'clock position is where is should be), infact it is closer to the 11 o'clock position.

I have tried everything - I tried a different distributor, same thing. I have the timing cover off now and the timing marks line up fine and when they do the distributor is pointing to the correct piston. Everything should work.....but it does not.

I would like some input or recommendations - please ask questions if you need more data.

I think I have some different type of motor that requires a different harmonic balancer.

I have a dynagear double roller timing chain I am going to put in - another mechanic recommended I advance the timing 4 degrees. Does anyone concur?

Thanks for input

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have your answer because I have been there. The harmonic ballancer and the cover with the timming marks are mismatched. The timming marks are at 2 o clock but the ballancer is for the cover with the marks at 12 o clock that you have to look between the water pump and block to see.
    I found a common bolt on the back of the water pump and use it as a timming refference.
    Drove me nuts. I got my crate slightly used and I thought maybe they reused the old motors ballancer but it's starting to look like GM screwed up LOL. I got looking at the old motor I pulled and noticed the timming tab in a different location is how I figured out the problem.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

3. 1986Blazer

Reaper:

You are right - I gently put the balancer on the crank (with the timing cover off and the engine at TDC) and the mark is lining up at the 12 o'clock position. Does this mean I have a wrong balancer or should I use timing tape to get it right?

Any other recommendations?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the ballancer is right as for doing it's job. Just has the mark in the wrong location for the cover with the marks. The tape would be the cheap and easy solution to the problem.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can make sure that the engine is exactly at TDC when you install the balancer and then make a new mark on the balancer at the zero-degree location of your timing tab. Set the timing using the new mark in reference to the timing tab and you'll be good to go. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I had this same prob.Somewhere along the line my trucks engine was replaced and either the timing cover or the balancer and the engine didnt match.I thought it had slipped and bought a new one for an 81.The old balancer and the new were the same.The old one didnt slip.Took it back and exchanged it for a 76 350 balancer .The position of the keyway in relation to the timing mark is different from early to later models.The early balancer put the mark where I needed it. With the early balancer I use an aftermarket pointer I got at Pep boys that bolts to the timing cover

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

7. 1986Blazer

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

I think for now I am going to paint a mark on the balancer at the zero mark from the teeth. I will also get a new balancer from a 76 350 - just to have it.

One more question to make sure I have it all right. Right not the crank mark is at 12 o'clock and the cam mark is at 6 o'clock.... this means TDC is on cylinder 6 - RIGHT?!?!?

TDC for cylinder 1 is when the crank is at 12 o'clock and the cam is also at 12 o'clock - RIGHT!?!?!?

Thanks

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With the timing dots at 6 o clock for the cam gear and 12 o clock for the crank gear the motor is at number 6 TDC...I'm embarrassed to say I never knew that until I had done at least 3 cam swaps and had the distributor out 180 degrees every time.
    Noon and noon is number 1 TDC

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Just to be sure ,take yer old balancer with you so you can compare the two .The differance will be obvious when you put them side by side.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

10. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Get a piston stop.Rotate the engine till it on the compression stroke.Put the piston stop in before it get too the top of it stroke.Important rotate engine by hand till the stop hits the piston make a mark on the balancer where it lines up with a bolt.Now rotate the engine backwards by hand till the stop touchs again.Make a mark again by the same bolt.The middle between these marks if exactly TDC.Now put a timing tape soo that it's zero is there.This is what i had too do on another motor of mine too get it right.Just my experence.Hope it helps.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

There are about 3 diff balancers for the 350's....got the wrong one from GM once and it was a bear to time!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!