Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing problem SOLVED!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As some of you may recall I was having problems with the timing on my truck. I installed a new fuel pump and my truck wouldn't start till I advanced the timing quite a bit. My adjustable timing light told me my idle timing was at 60* ish. This couldn't be right, so people told me that my damper probably slipped. Today while helping FortCollinsRam pickup his big block I asked a tech (very knowledgable) and he told me what my problem was right off. He knew right away what was wrong when I told him I thought the damper had slipped and I had a crate motor.

My damper didn't slip.

Apparently when the dealership warrantied my old crate motor they put on the a new 86 (I think that was the year) motor. They must have reused the damper off my old 85 motor. The damper itself is the wrong damper.

Apparently my 85 motor was setup to be timed from straight above looking threw the waterpump gap.

The newer 86 motor was setup to be timed from the right side next to the water pump not threw it.

So the timing marks are in the wrong place to be correctly timed on the damper. So apparently I have been running without alot of inital timing for the past 3 years, and with the new fuel pump it wouldn't even start because of lack of timing.

So I have to change my damper or timing cover to be able to time my motor correctly.

All this thanks to the wonderful work of the guys at Sands Chevrolet in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks again assholes.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why go stock when Fluidampers are avalible.. Fluidamper

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why go stock when Fluidampers are avalible

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm... The price difference is a pretty good reason if you ask me.