Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Aug 12, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I have a 350 in my 77 blazer.i cant seem to get the timing right. when i put it to factory specs it wont start, and when move it way off it will and runs really weird. Its been doing this for awhile. It shakes in revers and some in drive. When i hit certain RPM's i hear popping from the engine, and when i rev it i hear the same. I also have no power at all! It sucks. Can someone tell what could be wron, how i can fix it, and how much itll cost. THanks alot

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Did it just start doing this on it's own? Is the motor rebuilt? A new cam maybe? I know mine was rebuilt in my 71 and we put it at stock and it would idle and rev good but wouldn't go under load. Turns out when the PO put the cam in he didn't degree the cam right so I kinda had to "play" with it until I got it right.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Check your ignition mechanical advance weights... Sounds like they are stuck.

With distributor still in the engine, take the cap off, turn the rotor (~ 20 degrees) by hand. It should SNAP back in place. If you can't turn it or it doesn't snap back. If it doesn't SNAP back, then take out the rotor, and check the weights and spring mechanicals in there.

Most likely they are all gummed up. Spray some WD-40 on them. Now, you SHOULD take them apart and clean and lube them.

(**Or just run it, and see if it changes at all.)

I hear a drop or two of regular engine oil is good. I used some light grease. Make sure the plastic cams the weights ride on, are not worn. If they are get some new ones from your local auto store. You might end up buying a weight and spring kit. Don't use the weights that come in this kit.

Put it all back together, set to factory. Should be much better.

If you feel like taking on an adventure, change one of the OEM springs with the heaviest spring in the mechanical kit you just bought. See if and how that affects your driving. Make sure you don't get any pinging.

Have fun!