Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing probs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jaden, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Jaden

Jaden Registered Member

for whatever reason the motor I bought for my blaze will only run when the timing mark it straight up on the balancer.........no where near where the timing tab I dont know if maybe the balancer is wrong or what the problem may be but it is quite annoying............"BTW when I say straight up I mean it lines up with the carburetor the timing mark is straight up and down"

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

possible your timing chain jumped...
    Is your distributor pointing at cyl 1 at TDC???

Put cylindar one on tdc... Pull the plug and stick a screwdriver in the cylindar... Find the compressing stroke (crank engine by hand - very important -by hand) Plug the spark plug hole with your thumb and find the compression stroke... Use the screwdriver to find the piston at the top of the stroke...
    Look at your distributor and see if it's pointing at cyl one... Should be right on cyl one...
    If it's not at cyl one... It might have jumped...

Possible your distributor moved also....

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

3. Jaden

Jaden Registered Member

I bought the motor used took it home and stabbed the dist back in........wouldnt start.........monkeyed with it got it to barely run monkeyed with it more got it to run better just kinda stumped........I know how to set tdc and I know I am right on there but the mark isnt right

4. K10

K10 Registered Member

Sometimes the outer ring on the balancer can slip and misalign the timing marks.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://nick.rockcrawler.com>http://nick.rockcrawler.com</A>

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

There were a few years where the smallblock timing pointer was right behind the water pump. I think it was because of all the junk they had mounted to the front of the engine. You basically had to shoot the light straight down to time the engine.

Smitty

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

What I was getting at was this: If the engine is set up to time straight up and down and someone put the wrong timing cover on it you can run into the situation you're in. Also, if the wrong balancer is installed you would get the same readings.

If you're sure the outer ring on the balancer hasn't slipped you could always find true TDC and rescribe the timing mark on the balancer. This way you would be able to use the existing timing pointer.

Smitty

7. Jaden

Jaden Registered Member

thanks for your input this site has been incredible with helping me with my truck.... I talke to a friend who builds race cars and he said the same thing so i am thinking I will have him tune it to TDC and rescribe....

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Before you rescribe the outer ring be sure to look for evidence that it might have slipped. If it has slipped you could end up having expensive repairs on down the road. Hope it works out and you get it running.

Smitty