Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing question ***NEED HELP BADLY***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 11, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

i need to adjust my timing, im not quite sure what degree to put it on. People tell me to do it by ear, but it doesnt work bc itll sound great until i try to restart it. So what should i set the timing at? I may have a very mild cam, not sure though. Also, i really need to readjust my valves, the rocker arm keeps loosening to the point that it falls off the rocker arm, i need everyones ways of adjusting the valves, and would thread lock work?

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

My dad always used to adjust his valves when the car was running (not shure how he did it but ill ask and try to post that on here). As for timing set and then drive it a bit and intentionally lug the engine hard, if it starts to ping retard the timing a couple of degrees.
    Hope this helps!

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

As far your timing is concerned, on a motor that isn't stock, you'll need to play with the timing until you find what makes the best power and/or driveablity. Obviously a timing light is the best way to set your timing. Start with 8 degrees BTDC initial and see how it runs. Then try 10 degrees and see if there is an improvement. Hook up a vacuum gauge and adjust the timing until you get the highest vacuum reading and see where the timing light says your timing is. With a modified engine, it is a matter of trial and error to see what runs best.
    Good luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Also, running manifold vacuum to your vacuum advance can cause a hard start condition with timing that seems to be fine once started. Try running it off the ported vacuum port facing radiator on the drivers side off the front of your q-jet, if its not already there.

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

to adjust valves with motor running is easy...

Get a set of valve covers you dont like.. cut the top off of them so there a "convertible" valve cover...

take your covers off.... put the convertible cover on... start truck and adjust away...

still makes a little mess.. but not nearly as big of one...

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If the rocker arm keeps falling off you have other issues. A cam lobe could be going flat, worst case scenario, or an adjusting nut may be worn and need replaced, or the stud may be worn and need replaced.

John