Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caryhenry, Jan 23, 2003.

1. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

I have been trying to adjust the timing on my blazer, and it seems the more I turn the distributor counterclockwise, the more it pings. Which way do I need to turn the distributor to retard the timing?

2. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

you have to turn the distributor clockwise to retard the timing. You are makinghte timing more advanced by turning it counterclockwise. IF you have a timing light it is easy to tell when you are retarding the system. THe timing mark will move to the left as you retard the timng, and to the right as you advance the timing. If you don't have a timing light then you will have to adjust it by ear, and that can be tricky. YOu also have to adjust timing with the vacuum disconnect from the vacuum advance on the distributor, if you have a vacuum advance. I'm not sure what you have to do with a mechanical advance. The vacuum advance is a silver canister that sits on the left side of the distributor. Hope this helps.

3. wheelin_willy

wheelin_willy Registered Member

advancing the timing raises engine rpm and vice versa.

i would set it to stock spec and use 89 not 87 octane.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

See my ramblings in the garage forum under the question about which vacuum port to connect vacuum advance to.