Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing questions..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

SBC, book says 4 degrees. What are your opinions???
    What does advancing the timing to 10/12 degrees do as long as it doesn't ping do? Better throttle response? Better fuel? or worse?
    Now the problem is it's sluggish from the get go. Once I'm rolling, runs great.
    Thanks!

2. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

When I had a 350, I put it at 8 degrees. For my engine that was the best. The book will tell you what is best for overall better gas mileage, power and so on. So if you say the hell to the best mileage, then advance the timing. That's my thoughts.

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

With full length headers, edelbrock intake and carb, around 8 is perfect for my motor. I think it depends on the overall condition of your motor and ignition though. So usually no two motors like the same exact timing.
    -chris

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Each motor is different. My 400 was set at 11, and the Pontiac was set at 16....Set check, set check etc....

5. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

Is the motor stock?
    It mostly depends on the amout of cranking compression you have. do you know how much mecanical advance you have? most small block chevy's like about 32-36 total advance and should be all in around 4000rpm (inital+mechanical) higher cranking compressions about 170-190 the slower the timing should be brought in the lesser the compression the faster the timing can be brought in. if you cant tell how much mecanical advance you have set the inital timing around 8-10 degrees and if it doesn't ping you good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif make sure when you set it you disconnect the vaccum advance and plug the vaccum hose. initial timing wont affect your fuel milage much your vaccum advance helps that out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 82 silverado 4x

82 silverado 4x Newbie

Another item to take into consideration is that your damper pulley can actually be inaccurate. Sometimes after years of use, the outer ring with the timing marks actually slips on the inner hub that mounts to the crank. This creates the possibility of inaccurate setting. After making sure everything else was working properly I adjusted mine in increments of 2 degree to find the best overall normal driving performance.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

adjust-around the block-adjust-around the block-adjust-around the block-etc /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

For what it's worth my book says 8 degrees btdc. But it's usually set and test set and test........ Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan