Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have some timing questions here. I just moved to Colorado. My trucks emission sticker says 4* BTDC. I had it set there in AZ and on the way to CO. I was told by some people that my timing up here should be 8-10* but they didn't say BTDC or after. So the other day I adjusted it to about 9* BTDC and my truck seems to run better now. So going from 4*-9* BTDC means I retarded my timing 5* correct. Or thats what I gather from reading another post here. I was under the impression that you should run the most advance possible which is closer to TDC. Is this correct? So why does my truck seem to have more power with less timing? As you might gather I am a bit confused on the whole subject. Thanks

Harley

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You advanced your timing. I run mine at 8 BTDC and it runs great. BTDC means before top dead center. So the larger the number you go BTDC the more you advanced your timing.

John

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

The air is thinner up there

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

if you don't care about smog crap I advance my timing as much as possible without it pinging, before top dead center is when the mark on the damper shows on the top side of the o mark on the timing tab, trust me though your engine won't run if it is after top dead center so you must be in the right direction, I would put it at 8 or 10 though, advancing it as much as I do can hurt you engine if you don't know or understand well at what you are doing, for some reason to I find it better to time your ignition with the vacume advanced hooked up, also if your engine has a hard time cranking over your to advanced /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have been told that the stickers and books on the vehicles are for sea level. Advance 1 degree for every 2,000 feet in elevation over sea level. fort Collins is like 4900 feet. That would put you at 6 1/2. I like the others here have had good luck with 8 degrees up to about 8000 feet.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ok, cool. Another poster on another post said that the more left on the damper the more retard on the timing. This is what confused me. Thanks alot. I did set my timing with the vacuum line hooked up. I forgot to disconnect it. Last time I timed the motor in PHX I tried setting it with the vacuum on and off and I didn't see a change in the time on the damper. Thanks again

Harley

7. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

never heard that, sounds like a good rule to go off of, especially when I go to the river with a boat or anywhere in anything for that matter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

advance it till it pings then back it off a bit, climb some big hills and if it pings retard it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 9-10* sounds about right.