Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing with HEI and vacum advance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SummitXMK, Dec 19, 2001.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

I need to check my timing. Is there a special way to time with vacum advance? Do I just set it at the specs of my book. Also which way would you go to have it run better at higher rpms. I want it to run best at 65 mph for my trip. I don't remember what I am supposed to be at but it is in my book at home. Thanks for all your help once again.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 stock nuthin' special (YET)

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If I remember my pre-TPI days correctly, you remove the vac advance hose from the HEI, plug it and set your base timing. Usually the 'spec' is listed on the sticker on the radiator support. Most times you can 'play' with the advance a little bit, but at the risk of detonation, where you would then have to back it off. If you have the time, its worth it, otherwise for a trip (like it sounds like you are planning) set it to stock specs and go. And then don't forget to put the vacuum hose back on the distributor............[​IMG]

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot. Actually we are planning quite a few trips in the next couple of months. Snowmobile season and all. I know that a long time ago we had it set up so the sweet spot was in the high RPM's. I don't remember what it was so I thought I'd ask. It made for a smother feel on the freeway. Thanks for your help.

SummitXMK

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 stock nuthin' special (YET)