Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing with out marks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Aug 17, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

The timing marks on my harmonic balancer are not in the right spot, probably different timing cover..
    Anyway, how can you time i besides just listening to it, id like to be somewhat close to what it should be, or at leasst have an idea where i is acually set.
    Vacuum timing it???
    What it hat?
    Eddie
    HELP!!!

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Set up No1 cylinder at TDC with a guage. If you've got a late TBI truck, then that's your mark so just paint a line on the balencer there and stobe off that. If you've got an earlier truck then still use that mark but use a dial back timing light. Set it to what ever BTDC you want 8' or 10' and strobe it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Word of warning though, when I bent a rod and locked the motor up the outer ring spun round a bit and put all my marks out. I replaced it as I didn't want that ring of iron coming off on its own! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had the same problem. I dropped the oil pan and lined up #1 at TDC. Then I applied some timing tape to the balancer. It is just a few dollars from Summit. This lets me see everything without a dial timing light. With the dial timing light, you would just have to make a new mark on the balancer with white paint. BTW: office "white-out" is handy for this.

I think this happended by using a 305 balancer on a 350 crank or else the different years of the Goodwrench and the original mill. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

cool, i'm in the same boat.i used the 350 H B but i forgot to use the new timing tabs. WHAT UP LUKE??? it is luke right i'm bad with names /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif your truck is bad ass though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif