Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blzn1, Jun 3, 2004.

1. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

here is the deal, 1978 k5, 350/350, I need to smog and need to time at 7BTDC, right now it runs great, however the timing is currently at 52-56BTDC, I know it shouldn't be running at all. My question to you is. Where do I start? Originally, the balancer was thought to be the culprit, thats not it. This is a crate engine from Chevrolet with about 5000 miles on it. Like I said earlier, it runs great, but cant smog unless timing is at 7 degress BTDC. Please help

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

52-56 btc should be blowing jets of fire 3 feet out the top of your carb. Sounds like possibly the cam wasn't indexed right when they put it in.

3. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

ttt

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you using the stock balancer? They have been known to slip before , since its two pieces seperated by rubber. I would investigate further. Bring it around to TDC and look where the marks line up . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Check out last month's issue of Hot Rod magazine, June 2004. The "Pit Stop" section has a question that sounds exactly like yours from what I remember of your previous post. If you can't get it let me know.

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Pauly was on the right track with this one. I'm dealing with the same type of problem. Chevy seems to love to sell the crate motors but not bother to tell you that a certain motors requires a certain hormonic balancer. The first thing you need to do is ignor your current timing mark on the balancer. Get #1 to top dead center the best you can and mark the balancer good. Then retime the motor and see where your marks are. When you mark it at TDC 0 deg. you can then set it at 7 deg. BTDC. If you check your old mark with an advance timming light, you will probably be near that 56 mark still. Or, find the correct balancer for your motor and change it. Right now, mine is running at about 25 deg. BTDC and it runs sweet.
    Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had this problem too with my truck about a year ago. My truck ran fine for a long time and I timed it a bunch of times prior to my fuel pump going out. Once I installed a new fuel pump it wouldn't start. I couldn't figure it out. I played with the timing and it finally started.

To get the motor to run right I had to time it to about 36* BTDC at Idle with the vacuum advance plugged. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I just advanced the timing way up. I was told my balancer slipped and I was also told my timing cover was wrong for my balancer.

I swapped to Fuel injection about 6 months ago and my problem with the timing is none existent. I time my motor to 6* BTDC and it is all good. It now shows no problems that appeared before FI. I didn't change anything either.

My motor was a GM crate motor as well.

I think it was in my carb but don't know for sure.

My truck wouldn't even start unless the timing was 16* BTDC or more, and wouldn't run right untill it was at about 32-36* at idle.

Harley