Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Apr 3, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

Dec 28, 2000
    I just installed my new engine and need to set the timing, how do you know when its a head or behind. How does a timing gun work? and i got it running at one point however sparks kinda came out of the carb.
    anyone have some advice?

2. BAMA74K5

BAMA74K5 Registered Member

Mar 27, 2000
    This is how I have set my timing. First, use a piece of chalk to mark where the number on spark plug point line up with the bottom of the distibutor and make a mark on the intake manifold at this point. Remove the cap of your distributor. Second, look for the timing tag on the engine block. It should be connected to the block between the water pump and the power steering pump. Use a piece of chalk to mark the number 0. Third, find the timing mark on the harmonic balance (correct me if I am wrong, I think that is the name of it). It will be a line on the balancer. Mark it with chalk also. Use a breaker bar to line up the two marks. Now look at your distributor. It should be pointing somewhere close to the number one spark plug wire. If it is not, turn the balancer 360 degrees clockwise. Now the number one cylinder should be at top dead center (TDC). Look to see if the distibutor is lined up with the mark on the manifold. If it is not, loosen the distributor bolt and turn it until they line up. This should get you close to the correct timing. Put the cap back on the distributor. Once you have done this, start the engine and let is warm up. Connect the timing light (positive wire to positive terminal of battery, negative wire to ground, clip around number one spark plug wire). When the engine warms up, point the light at the timing tag one the engine block. The light will pulse everytime the number one spark plug fires. You should be able to see the two marks you have made. If they do not line up, adjust the distributor some more.

This is how I have done it. If this is wrong, I apologize but it worked for me. I hope this helps you out.