Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Jul 10, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 Blazer with 350ci engine. I really need to set my timing but the main pulley doesnt have the mark and degrees labeled. How do i know where dead center is? I really need to get this fixed soon but im not gonna pay a guy 150 bucks if its something simple. I have the timing gun too, or is there any other way i can set my timing?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can do it with a vacuum gauge also. Do a search and you should find the insrtuctions, but essentially you just adjust it to the point that you get the most vacuum at idle, then back it off a little bit. to find TDC you need to buy or make a piston stop, with one of those you can easily figure out where TDC is and then make a pointer and a mark on the damper so you can find it in the future. </font color>

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

There were some pretty lengthy posts about this awhile ago.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If you can take the pulleys off, you can find the Woodruff key. THis is pointing to the #1 piston. This should then be pointing right at the centerline of the head, this is TDC. Of course it could be 360 degrees off, and be on its exhaust stroke! LOL

Yep, getting a Piston stop is the way to go.

Good luck.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Buy a tool called a piston stop. Take out your #1 plug and stick your finger in there. Have a friend bump the motor until you hear a "whoosh" from the plug hole. Place that piston stop in there and set it so it will stop the piston near the top of its travel (may have to experiment to find the right setting). You want to grab the damper or flexplate to continue to move the motor (move damper clockwise). Using the starter to move the motor from here may damage the piston if it hits the stop because of the force. When the engine won't turn anymore because its hit the stop, make a mark on the damper that lines up with "0" on the timing mark. Now grab the damper and turn it counter clockwise one full turn until it stops again. Make another make where it says zero. Halfway between those marks is 0.

You can't use the keyway on the crank as a guidline because it won't point to "0". Some models have the keyway 2 degrees before the timing notch and others 10. If you just need the timing tab, summit sells them.

Using a vac gauge is a good idea too. 1" from highest vac is a good setting.