Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pissant469, Dec 30, 2002.

1. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

I need some help. My timing is way off(headers keep glowing). My is an 84 K5 that had a HO 305. I pulled it and put 4-bolt 350 out 75 K10. I know that on original was 4o before tdc. does any one know the timing on the new motor. My headers would sure appreciate any help so would I. Thanx in advance /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I usually advance mine until it pings, back it off until it doesn't, while making sure it still turns over (starts) easily.

I believe others here have related glowing exhaust to retarded timing as well.

many factors in what the engine "likes" for timing, a factory engine has known components, so they can get away with saying "1984 Blazer needs XX* timing"

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The 75 350 motor with points ignition had an initial timing of 8 degrees (12 with auto).

However, your best settings is like Dorian said.

It works even better if your running a Crane adjustable timing advance kit. This allows you to change your ignition mechanical advance, and variable vacuum advance.

The REAL question is - are you running the 84 ignition system??? Or the 75 Ignition system???

IIRC - the 84 (maybe not until 86) Ignition system is a fixed type distributor where the computer (and misc vacuum) controls the timing.

If you eliminated all of this computer control, and are still using the 84 ignition - then you would have HORRIBLE driving / accelerating, and retarded timing above 1500 rpms.

Good luck.

4. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

it has Gm Hei non-computer controlled

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

do like dorian said.. turn counter clockwise till it pings.. on acceleration.. then back clockwise some... grab a wrench and head down the road.. if you turn it off and it doesnt wanna start... turn it clockwise a little (retard) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I went through it already... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif