Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timings is off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Feb 9, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

how do i set my timing. there ids no scale and no place for a timing light thingy.(dont ask how i passed smog its a secret) its a 350. if you need any more info let me know......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no place for timing light? that would mean you don't have a plug and wire on the number one cylinder. You don't have a timing scale next to your balancer?

3. 4x4 Cowboy

nope i dont

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Not the best option, but if necessary, you could always time it by ear. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

better to power time it than going by vacume

6. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

What is power timing? My 454 says time it to 4*, is that an emissions thing or is that really where it should be?

andy

7. 4x4 Cowboy

take it to a mechanic for timing

i am i gave up.

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you don't have a timing tab on the timing chain cover? I'm not sure what year it changed, but if you are looking at the front of the balancer some years the tab was at the 2o'clock and others at 12.Look down between the water pump and the block from directly above.
    If you really don't have a tab you can get a fancy chrome tab that bolts on to the timing cover for $3 at Idiot Zone(auto zone).

9. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

I guess you realy looked..but just in case..did you look between the water pump and TC cover..sometimes the only way to see the scale is there...
    -
    I am realy tired, I hope this makes sense

If no scale..get an aftermarket adjustable one..that bolts to the timing cover bolts...

find TDC on #1...screwdriver in plug hole, turn engine carefuly with socket..feel when piston gets to the top and starts down...rock it back and forth to get a feel...move it one way..mark the damper at one edge of the new scale ..rock it back until the screwdriver drops the same amount..mark the damper again..do this a few times to get a good average and the best repeated marks you can..

.measure the distance between the two marks you made...1/2 way, make a solid scribe..turn the engine to align the edge to this mark..

The engine is now at TDC

If you can adjust the scale to align with this mark..do that, and grind or file a small slot

If cannot adjust far enough...make another final mark on the damper at the 0deg mark on the scale

Either way this will be you crank timing mark...Put the plug in, add timing light and set timing...
    --
    If you are luckey..the OEM mark on the damper will be somewhere around you aftermarket scale

Repeat the procedure above...after you get you two marks..Ignore the OEM mark for the moment...again, rotate the engine to the 1/2 way mark If you are very, very luckey..you will be able to adjust the timing scale so 0 lines up with the OEM crank slot... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif