Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timken wheel bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BAD88, Mar 5, 2002.

1. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Does anyone make a stronger bearing than the timken ? I put new timkens on last year and already they are worn out. with about 20.000 miles on them.I want to replace them with super duty ones but I cant find any..............thanks for any info

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Worn Out?? Mabie you are installing them too tight?
    I will only use a bearing that has Made in the U.S.A. stamped on the bearing AND the race. I have yet to acctually wear out a bearing!! Although I do change them from time to time......
    I would say stick with the USA only and that is as tuff a bearing you can get !!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Last timkins I bought said made in Malaysia(or somehting like that).. I htink they sold out...

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I ALSO TEND TO GO THROUGH BRGS. MORE THAN I THINK I SHOULD THEY SEEM TO GET LOOSE IN ITS OWN CAGE BUT I'AM SURE THAT SOMETHING TO DO WITH 42/15/15 TSL AND SOME HARD TRAIL RUNS.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Maybe it's got something to do with the grease you're using. I once used this cheap grease on my bearings and it liquified quickly and it came out through the hubs staining my wheels. Of course the bearings were in pretty bad shape after that.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did you replace the races as well?
    sounds strange, hope you track the problem down

7. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Yes I replaced both inner and outer with new races and I used new spindle lock washer assemblys and they just burn out. I have tried to use high quality grease also but it does'nt help .After about 10.000 miles I find that both wheels get loose so I tighten em up to take out the loose play and then they just wear out. Are oem bearings better? They are about 25$a pop as apposed to 12$ for aftermarket ones. This weekend I am going to change em again and hopefully they will last..........................