Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timless question: Can you fit 33's on a stock C20 sub?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Timless question: Can you fit 33\'s on a stock C20 sub?

The answer is yes, if you don't like your front fenders anyway.

last night, I stuffed the 33x12.5R16.5's from the K20 under the C20, since the C20's wheels are shot, and the K20 is parked for now... nipped the front corners off the fenders, and from what I can tell, I need to nip a little more, or whip out Mister Sledge hammer, and make a few more `Adjustments' to the rear corners of the front fenders.

the biggest positive improvement from putting these wheels under the C20, is I now have a poormans overdrive for cruising at freeway speeds. ( this doesn't work right, unless you have a bigblock to overcome all the additional strains of rolling taller rubber)

tonite, I break out the hammer, and finish fixing the fenders... shouldn't have any more trouble with rubber spiking metal after that.

2. BULLIT

BULLIT Registered Member

Re: Timless question: Can you fit 33\'s on a stock C20 sub?

i put a set of 285-75/r16s on withs a stock suspension my 87' suburban they rubbed a little but not bad just little wack hear and there should do it
    the title says it is a v10 but i can never find parts for it so i just us k10 parts so if that helps

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Since its 2wd, I just run my 33's on the back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I've considered reverting to this tactic,(done it that way in the past) with the ammount of wheel rub I still get, although I like the stance better ( and don't have my headlights pointing at the ground again) perhaps another round with Mr Sledgehammer will fix the problem ( and mister cutt off grinder wheel on the front section)

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Bringing this one WAAAY back up. I'd like to know if anyone else has input, I'm buying tires for my '87 c20 with a th400 and 4.10's and I'm thinking of bumping to 285/75-16's instead of the oddball 235/85-16's.

6. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

got 33 12.50's on my 86 C10 sub

definitely requires some (minor) trimming....but it was worth it. It was like another vehicle (in a good way)....I put some spring spacers in it also, as the springs were worn.

Got a 4x4 chassis to throw under it this spring....

7. KansasTwister

KansasTwister 1/2 ton status

Oddball? thats what my 77 2wd 1/2 ton, and all our 3/4 tons use (77 has 16x5.5 rare option 5 lug factory wheels). Military cucv trucks had them too IIRC.

8. TruckNutzDude

By today's standards that tire size is obsolete in most tire shops, so I called it an oddball. They were really common in the 70's and 80's for sure. My Grandfather swears tall skinny tires are the way to go and I agree when it comes to a street driven truck. I just want something taller so I can lower my RPM's on the highway without overdrive. I'm hoping to gain an extra MPG or two. Plus bigger tires look cool. :wink1:

I may stick with the stock size, I found some decent tread AT's for $98 a piece at a firestone dealer. They're Primewell PA100's... cheap china junk but suitable for my cheap old pickup. Less than half the price of the Dunlop Rover Maxx tractions I was thinking of buying in a 285/75 size.

9. USSkoval

USSkoval Dunno? Premium Member

Those Primewells are ill-wearing junk. I think a 255/85 would have a better chance of clearing, maybe with no rub.

My old '79 Blazer 2wd came with the 235/85/16's, and they were replaced with a set of 32x11.5/15's and there was ZERO rub. A c20 ought to have a bit more clearance.

10. TruckNutzDude

Don't forget, I probably won't have this truck forever, I live in New England and the tires might out last the metal on this rig. FWIW I found a set of Dunlop tires I like in a 285/75-16 size thanks to Aychdee's reccomendation, but they're back ordered until Feb.23rd. :doah:$180 a piece isn't too bad for a M/T with lots of siping IMHO.

11. TruckNutzDude

I figured this applies to more than just suburbans so I added my pickup.

I bought a used set of 33x12.5-16.5 BFG m/t km's on 16.5x9.75 3.25bs AR wheels yesterday for $375. They fit perfect in the back but they're flush with the sides of the body so I had to trim the "fang" on the front of the front fenders, they also rub the mud flaps slightly but I can live with it, I like the factory flappers. I fealt bad cutting on this truck but it's a lot rustier than I initially thought.

I apologize for the pic but it's raining/hailing/snowing outside so I took this from the confines of my kitchen. :crazy:

[​IMG]

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have an air bag kit for the front springs that will bring it up a bit and help with the tire clearance.
    I got it for my van but since sold it.
    I could sell them if anyone wants them.

13. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

I know that Toyo makes a 245/75-17 A/T, I may get those for my Yukon when the current set I have wears out. IIRC they were about $190 a tire at Les Schwab, and they're pricey.

14. KansasTwister

KansasTwister 1/2 ton status

Just got a 78 k20 th400 np203 with 4.10s... and guess what? im looking at 285/75/r16s or maybe a 255/85/r16. Guess ive been converted :o

But i still see 235/85/r16s as a common size around here, and will continue to run them on my 2wds, but my 4x4 needs some decent rpm on the highway lol.