Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timming 87 tbi 305

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by porkchop, Jul 24, 2002.

1. porkchop

porkchop Registered Member

I know that I need to got too "0" But I was wondering if I could go up couple of more Just to get some more kick out of the old lady This will only be until I change out the timming chain. Would the computer hold me back from doing that.I know the old days you could turn it up until you had to change the starter every time you after you turned the key
    any help

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I run my 89 TBI 350 about 4 degrees advanced. I can get away with as much as 8 without any problems. But at my elevation(5000 ft) it seems to run the best and get the best fuel milage at 4-6 degrees advance. Dont forget to disconnect the timing bypas wire before you time it. If you dont disconnect it you will never get the timing right.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

We've had better result at the factory setting. GM made that ignition system to deliver the best all around performance and mileage. If 4 degrees was better, they would have built it into the curve. I believe the timing is run almsot at the brink of pinging and is retarded because of the knock sensor.