Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

timming cover install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purplehavoc, Jul 31, 2006.

1. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Registered Member

just put the engine in my truck,and had to pull the timming cover off last night.
    I know you can trim the tabs to slide it in with out dropping the pan,which i'am trying to advoid.
    Question is how much and where exactly do i have to trim?
    Thanks.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

The easiest way ive ever seen to remove it is to drop the front of the pan a little, not all the way. If by trimming you mean removing material from the lip that holds the seal, I dont think I would do it. Thats not a place you want a seal to fail. Just my .02

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

trim here..

I don't drop the oil pan unless I'm going in there to change the oil pump,etc..its not nessasary..its easier if you drop the pan,but adds hours to the time the job takes..if your motor is high mileage though,it might be a good idea to drop the pan,clean out the goo at the bottom,and see if the oil pump screen is clogged,or has nylon timing gear teeth stuck in it!..if so,replace them..only costs 25 bucks for the pump and screen.--also use a steel sleeve to replace the crap nylon factory one on the oil pump drive...the pan gasket costs more if its a one peice rubber one!.

Trim the covers inner "smile" at the upper corners with tin snips or a grinding wheel..not a whole lot has to be removed..use black RTV sealant to glue the smile looking seal to the cover,and some on the outside too (not a heap,as it'll get in the oil pan!)..then after you wrestle the cover back on,and tighten all the bolts,use your finger and wipe more black RTV around the outside of the cover and oil pan where they meet,especially the upper corners..let it dry overnight if possible before firing it up..--none of my timing covers leak a drop doing it this way..:crazy:

4. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i sware its all in the hands of the guy doing it, the tad bit to much you cut off, i dont care how much RTV you splooge in there its going to leak. ive done it 3 times in my life and the never leaked, i know other people that did it and made a huge mess.!
    LUKE

5. purplehavoc

Thanks.
    The engine was supposed to have been rebuilt about 3 years ago.
    So there shouldn't be to much goo in the pan.
    I will give it a trim and see what happens.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one thing!..

Most timing cover gasket sets come with 2 different thickness of rubber "smile" seals...older (74 and down) engines use the skinny one,(and are the hardest to install)..later ones use the wider one--(GM redesigned the cover and oil pan a bit to make it easier to install without pulling the pan,but you still need to trim the cover a bit)....if your using a new cheesy chrome cover,it might use one OR the other..if you use the skinny one where the wide one should be,it'll be sure to leak!...I prefer stock GM timing covers..

The last 2 timing covers I had off were to install timing chains and gears during a motor swap..so I took the pans off,since the motor was out anyway..but trimming the covers does work,but as stated,it takes doing a few, before you know how much to remove..it beats pulling the pan off,or even just loosening it..it encourages leaks,disturbing the oil pan gasket..:crazy:

7. purplehavoc

I thought i would try and pull the pan last night,just to have a peek inside and install the cover.Well who ever built this engine has that pan glued on there. Not impressed.Had a long bar in there and it won't break free with out tweaking the pan,so i guess i will be trimming the cover.
    It seems like it is close to going in,so hope i don't need to trim much.