Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timming mark on a Chevy 350 V8

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PorterzCustomz, Apr 19, 2007.

1. PorterzCustomz

PorterzCustomz Registered Member

Hi, im new here. I just picked up a 1990 K5 lifted with 33's I am having ignition problems and need to know where the hell the 0 mark is on the 350 block!? I see the crank mark but thats it. Can somone plz tell me where the mark is on the block and what the proper timming is suppose to be set to? Also is there something you have to disconnect in order to set?

Thx
    Eric

2. PorterzCustomz

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

you probably have the normal timing mark tab on the timing chain cover. on my 82 it's really hard to see unless you know exactly where to look. they are much easier to see on my 94.

i think the tbi engines are supposed to be 4 degrees btdc. really can't swear to that, though.

4. PorterzCustomz

Is this it?? It appears just to be one of thoes pins that lines up the cover for install

[​IMG]

5. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

No thats not it, Just bring the motor to top dead center and use a screwdriver to feel if its at tdc...I've always used this method. The timing marks should be right above the timing cover, I thought they were attached to the stock cover, but i'm not sure.

6. PorterzCustomz

It's very strange there is nothing!! =(

Is that even near where the mark should be!??

This is a shot I took from under the truck looking up.. is this it?? the bar near the crank?

[​IMG]

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

opposite side of the water pump. Should be a sheetmetal tab sticking off of the timing cover. If its not there, then you don't have one, and good luck...

8. Pvt. Maggot

Like I said, pull your number 1 plug, bring it to top dead center, use a screwdriver to make sure the piston is up, and your set..its very simple.

9. PorterzCustomz

umm so its on the passenger side!? nothing there the waterpump is in the way of everything it couldent be there

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

it should be visible from the top. but you hae to look behind the water pump at just the right angle. even in daylight, it's tought to see.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

According to my underhood information on my 87 tbi 350, it should time at 0*. Looking at your pictures, I think your missing the timing tab. When you do happen to time it, you need to do this first. There is a black and tan colored wire running pretty much under the brake booster. It is the computer controlled timing advance. When you time a tbi motor, make sure to unhook this wire when timing it or you will never get it set right.
    -Harrison

12. PorterzCustomz

Like I said, pull your number 1 plug, bring it to top dead center, use a screwdriver to make sure the piston is up, and your set..its very simple.

No its not because then I cant set the timming with the light without a mark lol. In order to use the light you need a mark on the crank and on the block!!

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it is either there or its not. if it is not, someone ****ed with it. Did you try like sticking your head in and looking UNDER the waterpump?

Timing should asbolutely be 0* on TBI. Set mine to 4* out of sheer stupidity once, shot flames out the intake...

14. Pvt. Maggot

Why do you need a timing light? Come on man hah...Like I said, I believe the timing mark is on the stock cover, and your's isn't stock...so yeah..

15. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

it's called the "ESC" or "electronc spark control", in case you are looking at a schematic or reading a manual.

if you use the scewdriver method, remember that the piston hits tdc twice. once for exhaust stroke and once for compression. and it's easy to accidentally time your engine 180 degrees out. with your finger presed over the #1 spark plug hole and someone else bumping the motor over, you'll be able to feel the air pressure push past your finger on the compression stroke. once you feel the pressure, you can use the balancer bolt to rotate the crank back and forth a little until you feel tdc with the screwdriver. by combining the two methods, you find proper tdc.

16. Pvt. Maggot

^^ Exactly, I've used this method I don't know how many times, and i've never had a problem with timing.

17. PorterzCustomz

Okay guys... How about THIS.. Its a little dent on the timming cover around were I think the mark should be. The line you see on the cover is not really there its a reflection from the crank from the camera light!
    [​IMG]

18. Pvt. Maggot

Nope..This is what the tab should look like..

[​IMG]

You don't have it, do what I told you, you don't need a light.

19. PorterzCustomz

ohh.. I dont need a light because its suppose to be timmed exactly at TDC unlike alot of engines that are suppose to run like 10 BTDC?? Right?? So I dont need to time it because its suppose to be set at 0 anyway

20. Pvt. Maggot

If you do what I and vortec said, you will be at exactly tdc. :)