Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Timming Marks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Apr 16, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Saturday was the first time I set my timming on my 76 350 4 bl. The book said 8 degrees B. I marked the 8 on the pointer and the long line on the the what ever it's called, the round thing. I can't remember. When I shot the light on it I couldn't even see the mark on the wheel. It was about 5 inches to the left. I noticed the previous owner had marked a "V" close to where the timming should have lined up. Would there be a reason for this. Did he change the spot the timming had to be marked somehow? I know it's the stock motor, but the timming chain has been changed before.

I set it using the proper mark. I didn't notice any difference. It seems if it was that far off I would have noticed a difference. Any ideas? Should I leave it using the stock marks? or his? On the other hand the mark might be from when he put his timming chain back in.

2. lew

lew Registered Member

The previous owner may have done like you said and miss aligned the timing chain marks.
    You could always check to see if top dead center lines up.
    Pull your #1 spark plug and bump the motor with your finger pressed against the spark plug hole. when you get a blast of air stop, check the timming marks see if it is close to 0 you are probably ok.
    Then again their is that old saying, if it aint broke why fix it.

By the way you did plug off your vacume advance at the distributor before you timed it I assume.

Have fun.

3. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I didn't think about checking for TDC.

4. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

If the previous owner misaligned the timing chain marks when installing the the motor would not run. You cannot change the ignition timing and compensate for an improperly installed timing chain. What probably happened to you is what happened to me. I had a 305 in my 81 Blazer. replaced it with 350. Used Damper(round thingy) from 305 on 350. The timing marks for the 305 are straight up or where your timing mark on your damper was. 350 engines timing is where your pointer is. I just marked top dead center on damper when I rebuilt engine. you could get timing tape for damper or buy a cover with marks they make for the damper. You could also go to J-yard and pull one off 350 engine. Or, if like you said you readjusted and everything is ok...is it really broke? Mine runs like crap when I put damper mark on 8 degrees on pointer. Maybe your timing was just off a little. Ok I'll shut up now.

Tuck