Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tinkering with 56" and 57" springs **calling suspension experts**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Sep 29, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

tinkering with 56\" and 57\" springs **calling suspension experts**

i am going to put an ORD shackle flip on my suburban soon. and one day i'll go up to 6" suspension. so i was thinking if i flipped the overload and removed a leaf or two and ran some 2.5" blocks it would be softer and flex and ride better plus i'd end up with about 6" of lift. i know the 2.5" blocks aren't bad when it comes to axle wrap. would this be any good to try? and would it end up around 6" of lift?

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Re: tinkering with 56\" springs

Prolly

3. muddysub

Re: tinkering with 56\" springs

anyone else?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: tinkering with 56\" springs **calling suspension experts**

Well, no expert but, if I wanted 6" of lift, that's how I would most likely do it...

[edit]
    Oops, just read it again, I don't think I would remove a leaf, just flip the overloads. Removing a "leaf or two" would most likely cost you more than a 1/2". If your already at 56", get a set of the F150s with the flip. That will give you amazing flex, soft ride, and a better shackle angle to boot...

5. muddysub

so i could just bolt up the 57"s and be good to go? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif really interested in this /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I left a post for ya in the ORD forum, too. I have a K30 with the 56" rears that I intend to do this swap. I have everything but the flip and shocks, so as soon as I get ahold of those, I will do the swap and get some pics for you to check out, and see what all is involved (which does not appear to be much). I'll be sure to take measurements so you have a good idea what to expect for lift height.

7. muddysub

cool thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

not that i have seen....

with the F-150 springs the lift in minimal, in my research and conversations with Rene. The shackle flip is where you get most of the lift, and adding a block under all of it only adds to the possibility for axle wrap with such a soft spring.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Here is how my setup may differ from muddysub's, but it won't be much...I am using the slightly taller perches from rockjunkies, which will gain me in the neighborhood of 1". In conjunction with the 4" flip from ORD, this ought to net what I need to match the 6" fronts, which aren't quite 6". If I am still too short with this combo, I will just toss in a Zero Rate and call it good. I have also kicked around using BorregoK5's flip to achieve the larger lift. That is the decision I need to make to get this going, I guess. Procrastination...isn't it lovely? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have not heard good things about zero-rates and 57's. they are really soft.

I was talking with Marv about this, and he said he doesn't recomend it. (running zero-rates)

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

What kinds of problems does this combo create?

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

added strain on a ultra soft spring. I am not a guru--just passing on info

13. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the heads up...need to do some more reasearh, I guess. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

14. muddysub

ok it seems they are too soft to handle anything from the sounds of it. obviously you would re-drill the pack, would it help to add a leaf from my 56"s with a reolcated hole in it? i don't need a cadillac soft spring nor do i want one. i don't wanna load the sub up with people and have it sag an inch.

i'm thinking about the added weight of my suburban's rear end over a K5. i think they would sag some so if i added one leaf from my 56" packs it would stiffen it up and give some extra height.

15. BadDog

Ok, if you still want the load carrying capacity, forget the F150s. You can also forget removing a few leafs since that will put you in about the same place. The main leaf on the 56s is heavier than the 57s, but you'll still have the same sorts of load and wrap issues when you remove the leafs (and flip the overload). I only suggested the F150s because I thought you were seriously going for soft and flexy.

Now, if it's the wrap that's turning you off, that can be dealt with separately. 57" springs, flip, and 2" blocks would be fine with one of the "Sams" anti-wrap bars or maybe one of Borrego's prototypes. Still doesn’t add the capacity back but, you said you wanted soft and flexy. You can’t really have that along with carrying capacity without something more complicated and variable like airbags or something.

It's all about trade offs, you need to spend some time figuring out exactly where your optimal target point would be...

16. muddysub

well soft and flexy would be nice but i still need a practical all around daily driver. that can haul and occasionally tow stuff. while i have a feeling the 57" F150s are in my future i don't think it'll be for a while.

17. BadDog

Yeah, it's tough to work out. I actually had to flip my F150 overloads back over like the factory setup. Otherwise, my springs would invert way too easy and compress too far. In fact, it’s still going a bit farther than I would like. I don’t see how those F150s can carry a bag of concrete, much less any decent load! Keeping the overloads upright also helps keep the dramatic "S" bends from axle wrap down a bit till I can do better. Hmmm, ever think of air shocks with quick connects? Stick the air shocks on and air up a bit for load carrying needs. On the trail, pop on a set of long travels or something. Just a thought, if you really do want to be able to handle both ends. Guess that's about all I can come up with. It’s going to be tough to keep it balanced. I got tired of all the compromises, that’s why I went with dedicated trail rig this time. Still takes allot of compromise (especially relative to $$$) but it’s much easier to deal with.

Good luck...

18. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Re: tinkering with 56\" and 57\" springs **calling suspension experts**

The F-150's are soft...! Real soft! As soon as you bolt them on, you're possibly gonna be dealing with some axle wrap issues. Adding blocks of any kind or any height only makes this worse! That's why I don't recommend it.

I wouldn't put 57's on the back of a 'burb unless I added some additional leaves to the pack. Scott, if you're gonna do this, I'd advise having a finished pack of 7 or so leaves + the O/L. E-mail me and we'll discuss some details. And remember that your hauling capacity will be about half of what it was .... at best.

Marv

19. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You could always have some custom springs made for your application. I know Deaver Springs in Santa Ana, Ca could probably set you up with something real nice.

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ever think about 63" rear springs? (IFS rear springs)

They should be able to fit up fairly easily on a Suburban (Don't know for sure tho', I would have to look at the frame) and handle a load pretty well too.

On the 1/2 tons, (88-98) they only had 3 leafs + over-load, the leafs are pretty thick and are sprung pretty heavy, so they can handle the load. The twisting part come into play with the length of the spring (it far easier to twizt a yard-stick, than it is to twizt a ruler)

Either-way you go,
    The great thing about leaf-spring suspensions is that they are completly adjustable. Mix-and-match leafs until you get it to where you want it.

The shackle flip will hurt the load carring capability, thats just the way it is. Everything that was intended to carry a load, runs a tension-style shackle for a reason.