Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tint on windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, May 31, 2002.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

How do you get the tint on the windows off, the tint in my rear window is all scratched up and I want to get rid of it. This is not factoty tint, this is the cheap stick on kind.

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Go to Wal-Mart and check out the auto section. They have this removal stuff that is supposed to help. Also, get one of those scraper razor blades and that will help. I just made an attempt at doing my new sliders and wasted a whole roll before I decided to pay someone to tint mine. It comes off easy when it has only been on a day or two, but I hear it can be hard to remove if it has been there a while.

The window film can look really nice if it is done right.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I tired lacquer thinner, then paint thinner to remove the residue. Worked ok, still tedious. If you get the glass warm (as in sunlight lol) once you get a piece started, sometimes you can just peel a bunch off, and only have to deal with the adhesive left behind, which is what the thinner excelled at removing. A razor blade works good to scrape off the adhesive, combined with the paint thinner.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

How about using a heat gun.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It might have made it a bit easier, but the tint that was on mine was thick enough that it didn't tear when I pulled on it, so it peeled off nicely. I think the adhesive problem would have remained though. I've used a hair dryer to remove a cell phone booster antenna from a rear window defrost grid, and that worked great though.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The easiest way is to use a scraper razor blade and any solvent. Windex etc works quite well. Pulling the film off is the easy part like the others said. You just have to get under it with a blade near the edges of the window and it should pull right off. After that just spray lots of windex on the window and scrape all of the glue off the window. The windex will make the glue pretty gummy so a paper towel is helpfull to keep the blade wiped off when it gets gunky.

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Wonder how 3M adhesive remover would work? It works reat on taking, glued on trim off of a vehicle.

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Amonia, pure amonia.
    Here is the best way, gat amonia and put i in a squirt bottle, Soak the windows. Take a large plastic bag and cover the windows and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Be sure and refresh the amonia often be spraying more. If the is done correctly the tint willalomost fall off. Then just go back with a straight razor and amonia and get the rest of the glue off.
    Be sure and do this in a well ventilated area.
    I know this works , I was in the Car Audio industry for years and we did many a tint removal.
    Hope this helps, Nash