Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How many of yall have tint?[​IMG] I was going to install some 5% tint myself today, and was wondering how dark the 5% is? thanks for any responses

YEEE HAAWWW[​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I dont know how dark 5% is, but it cant be that dark. I think limo tint is around 50-80% and that is almost black.

On another tint related note, do you run a radar detector? If you do, your tint will affet the radars performance if the tint changes the way the light rays pass through it.
    For example, if you put it on your windshield( which I dont think anyone would recommend) and looked at a stoplight. If the stoplight is red and through the tint you see that light being another color other than red, you dont want that tint. That type of tint will affect your detectors performance. So makes sure you get a tint that doesn't alter light rays if you run a detector!

(I got the light altering tint info from Valentine Research in Coloumbus, OH) Valentine makes great radar detectors!!!!

Hope this helps!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The 5% is how much light is allowed in, so it blocks 95% of the light. The box also says that it blocks 67% of the heat, and 99.4% of UV rays.

YEEE HAAWWW[​IMG]

4. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

5% is very dark! I have it on my Jimmy. Heres a picture of it after I tinted it and played in the mud. My truck had factory tint on the back slider windows which is quite dark to begin with and I tinted over that with the 5%(can't see through back windows at all!). Something you might want to consider is that 5% is illegal in most places so if you get pulled over be sure to roll your windows down, and the 5% tint might give you problems seeing through the back window at night, so you should have a power rear window.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Do you have any trouble seeing out?

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

6. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

Yes dark roads can pose problems at night while backing up. I once had to back out of a trail that was very dark so I just rolled the rear window down. I highly recomend a power rear window with 5% film!

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah I have a power rear window, also I forget to ask if you ever got ticketed by cops for the tint?

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

8. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I have never been ticketed for tint but then again I have never been pulled over in the Jimmy. Here in Florida you can go as dark as you want on the rear portion of the vehicle but only 30% (I think) on the front windows. You might want to ask around in your area to see how leniant the cops are in your area when it comes to tint.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

cool

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

On my 5th 4x4 here, and have 5% on every one of them. The GA law is the same as FL. I hit my windows down whenever i see a state tooper just to be safe, since I have gotten ticked before. Usually they only say something if trhey are pulling you over for something else orrrr you tint is halfway down your windshield. Also turning on the entire light as a courtsey is nice at night if you get the blue light. Mine is kinda hard to see at back at night but the rear mounted roof rack light s help out there. SEE ATCH

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

11. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I have 5% on the back of my K5, and it is very dark, especially at night. I added the "Blazer" replacement 55 watt bulbs in my reverse lights, and they help lots. I'm also going to add additional back-up lights.