Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tinted Windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DMK, Jul 6, 2000.

1. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever tinted there own windows? How hard is it, were did you buy your tint from and does it still look good? Do you have any tricks? Thanks for any help...

2. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Man I see you live in Ohio, My best advice is don't do it, ask a local cop or stop by the Highway patroll Office. They take tint WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, I was pulled over 3 times bringing a 1984 Trans Am from Indiana through Ohio to home across the state. If I'm not mistaken you are only allowed 75% in Ohio and thats not worth putting on. You might get away with your side windows on your topper but little else. Just a warning as every one of my friends is pulling their tint off as fast as they put it on. Sorry for the lecture just throwing out some advice. If your going to do it They sell it at any auto parts store and its easy to put on just follow the directions closely. Good luck whatever your choice is. Just adding my nickles worth.

If you say you haven't been stuck you're lying or was it you'll go blind, hmm

3. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah cops take that seriously!

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It will be frustrating the first time you do it. I've done it couple of times now and can say that unless you are really good at it save up and get it done professionaly(sp?). Have someone else help you on the bigger pieces. Keep a lot of water on it while you are installing it, so it will slide around better. Cut it big. I have 5% on the back windows and 20% on the doors, and haven't had any trouble yet. Have fun, it's not easy at all.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with Chris, find out what the legal limit is before you do it yourself. Also, my brother used to work for a van conversion company and was an expert window tint installer. It took us the better part of a 12-pack - no - I mean, afternoon to tint my whole truck. That was in '92, and it's just now starting to peel a little around the edges. Of course, it was cheap stuff, but at least it didn't fade to purple. Repeat - spend the extra money and have it done by the pros!

behemoth K5

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Easiest way is to take the window out if at all possible then take it in the house or garage and take your time. I did this on my backwindow and it took a couple of times but it is nice two layers of 5% you can look at the sun straight through it and it is just like looking at the moon on a cloudy night....never mind I backed over a parking meter at work the other night. Also get a SHARP X-Acto knife. Dont use those cheapy orange things where you break the tip off when it gets dull, it will not give a good sharp tip every time. Also never use window cleaner on the window it breaks the tint and the film down use soapy water. When you clean it the first time use steel wool to get off and chunky critters and then finish it off with soapy water..also professional tinters, I have HEARD) use soapy water to apply the tint with. As opposed to the stuff you buy at the store especially for putting on tint

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

1 more thing I forgot...If a corner bubbles up and will not stay down you can use clear fingernail polish to hold it down. This works for stubborn edges that will not lay down too.

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

hey i lie in ohio too, as long as you have a perscription fr window tint from an eye doctor you are ok, just make an appointment for an eye exam tell them it hurts your eyes to drive in bright sun light, usually they will wave a light in your eyes and all you have to do is squint and turn your head and act like it hurt, then they will just write you out a perscription, carry it with you at all times so you can present it to a cop, some one told me the perscrition has to be notorized too, but i am not for sure on that. hope this helps.

9. Udy

Udy Registered Member

I've never been pulled over for the tinted windows (driver/passenger) on any of my blazers. I have been ticketed nermerous time for the tint on my Fiero GT. Both vehicles windows were beyond the legal limit. I think cops pick out vehicles that "punks" might drive. Also, the window could act as an "excuse" to pull you over if they think you may have something to hide.
    I would recomend profesionals so the job if you decide to do it!

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I called the local tint shop and they said that for my '84 there are no tint laws, so technically I could nearly black out the windows. I wouldn't do it though.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

11. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

It\'s NOT easy...

But it can be done. The question is how much will you actually save doing it yourself, and what it will look like when you are done.By the time you waste a few pieces, and you WILL waste some, it may be almost as cheap to have it done, and you will NEVER get it to look as good as someone that does it for a living...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

12. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Tried to do my own, I don't have any patience for this. Made a cash deal with a local shop, "blacked out" rear and side topper glass for $80.00. No cop hassles, plus no one can see the sterio.

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

13. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Here in Louisville, Ziebart will do driver/passenger, top and tailgate windows on my '78 for approx $120. They'll do the tailgate alone for $35! Reasonable, I think!

behemoth K5

14. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Are there any tint laws for 82 jimmys? I already have a tint job, but it is peeling and looks like sh!t.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There's none for my 84 so I guess there's none for your 82.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think the laws vary pretty widely from state to state. Here in PA, windshield tint is a no-no on any vehicle, and the darkness of the tint is restricted for different windows. The vehicle itself has nothing to do with it.

I had the windows tinted on my wife's car 3 years ago. Installer used Llumar film, which is supposed to be the best. NO problems at all!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

17. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

Looking at some of the tint that runs
    around here I say TAKE IT TO A PRO! I
    wouldn't attempt it, figuring I'd
    screw up somehow or get impatient (an
    unwanted trait of mine).

As far as the law.. I'd highly suggest
    you check it out. And I'd ask the
    pros "point blank" too. "What Are the
    laws?" You might even go as far as to
    ask a LE officer... At least then, you
    have the facts. Good luck with the
    tinting it definitely ADDS to the
    appearance of rigs when done correctly.

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

18. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

hey bro, in the state of Texas there are very much laws about window tint. Technically, you can tint the front twobwindows 35% and the rears darker. The windshield can have a visor strip that can go down to AS1 line or 6 inches from the the roof, wich ever is closer to the top. Check the tint shop you got your info from cause they are WAY wrong. Any DPS Trooper will gladly corect there error.
    As far as tinting the windows, my advice, pay someone to do it and dont buy the cheap film . I would get a metalized film , it has a better heat reduction, also i would stay far away from dyed films, as they WILL fade and change color on you. Tint is something that should be done right the first time, if you are going to own the truck for a while , it will cheaper in the long run to have a quality tint job done now, maybe a little more expensive, then in two years pay some one to strip and retint your ride, it gets much more costly then. just my .02

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -