Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tinting burban windows

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by bigreid, Mar 4, 2003.

1. bigreid

bigreid Registered Member

I was just reading about getting windows tinted. My 89 needs it! Just got it painted black with gun metal gray, light gray/silver pinstripe instead of red, have had lots of comments.
    Should I pay someone to put on a quality film or go junk yard some windows or buy some and do it myself? I really hate the junk stuff that turns "red" so I am shying away from the store bought stuff. My dog /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif will scratch the film so I was going to put a lexan liner on the inside if I go with the film. What are some opinions on the best thing to do and how dark to go? 20% is factory.
    BigReid /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got prefessionally done limo tint on my suburban and it's been there and in perfect shape for like 8-9yrs in the vegas heat. i'd have someone do it for you.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Get it done with 3M brand film and it won't change colors and it won't bubble. I've had it on my S-Jimmy since 1992 and it still looks great. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would look for a set of original privacy glass, then you won't have to worry about scratches. I have a set, but I think it is sold.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

When we had our Cadi STS- we drove it to florida for a vacation- and while down there had the windows tinted- it was $180 smackaroo's- but it was the best tint job I'd ever seen- in Vermont- tinted front door windows are illegal- unless they came from the factory- this job was soo good- even the cops couldnt tell if they were factory or aftermarket. A good tint job will hold up to just about anything. I did mine in my topper- but with that 3M "static" style tint- was much easier than the permanent stuff- and looks good- but not half as good as a professional job

Brandy

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'd just look for some factory tinted glass. when they do it at the factory, they put the tinting between the 2 layers of glass, where it'll never fade, get scratched, or bubble. got my rear windows for I think $30, and the middle door windows for $30 or so. ( thanks Bluesman) still havn't put in the middle windows, but the rear ones look really nice with the dark paintjob I've applied to the truck. looking to possibly find a tinted tailgate window, ( although not really needed with the dark side windows) and perhaps some tinted front windows. if you look for factory tint at a junkyard, expect to pay someting obscene like 250 each for the giant side windows, and 100 appeice for the door glass. LMC sells them too if I recall, but I don't have my catalog on hand right now to price them out.

7. bigreid

Thanks for all the info. I am going to go price some windows at the J yard. In the long haul I think that would be the best because my dog will find a way to rip a tint job! What am I in for if I try to do this myself?

8. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

A good window tint job will hold up very well to scrathes and from personal experience, it looks better than the privacy glass. I don't know about in Alaska but where I live getting your windows done isn't that expensive and I would definitly suggest getting it profesionally done it is well worth it. I have the factory privacy glass on the rear windows of my 89 and I have everyother window tinted on it and they have been for years and when the truck is cleaned up the tint still looks new. I have 5 on the sides and 35 on the windsheild on both my vehicles and I hate driving stuff without tinted windows.
    The tinted windows look newer and cleaner than the factory privacy glass and on my truck they are right next to each other.

Also, tint provides great safety if you window breaks and it really helps keep the interior from fading.

9. bigreid

In Alaska it costs about $350 to get from the second set of doors to the barn doors done. How does that compare to the areas you all live?

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

$200 - $250 in Seattle area.

11. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

I payed $100 for mine (passenger and driver windows, windsheild, and barn doors)

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think our suburban was like $250 here in vegas. but i'm not sure it was a long time ago. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif