Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tinting clear soft top plastic windows?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Sep 19, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody or known anybody that has tinted clear soft top plastic windows? Maybe some sort of spray, flexible/clingy window tint?

Thanks

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

never heard of it, think you have to get the plastic already tinted from the manufacturer.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've seen the spray but never seen good results with it. I wouldn't try it on the top straight away.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My old soft-top has clear windows too.. so I have kicked this thought around as well.

I've thought of using normal tint, and just cutting it to fit before applying it to the window. I know there will probably little edges that get missed and show light through.. but it would be better than nothing. I'm thinking it may be worth a try. Since it's a soft-top, it can be laid out to work on pretty easy. Basically do it the same as any other window without using the razor. My best guess is it would be better to make a pattern out of cardboard first and go from there. My mother in law has a roll of film laying around that she isn't going to use so it should not cost me anything to try it.

The only other thought is to rip out the seem where the clear windows are and go get some tinted plastic and sew it in with my mother in laws industrial sewer. But, that would mean either her or my wife would have to do it.. so I'll probably try the other first. Besides, it's an old top, and I don't really want to sink a bunch of time and money into it. I didn't use it much on my old K5, and don't know how much I'll use it on this one. Not to mention, I don't know what the tinted plastic will cost, although I'm sure it's not too expensive.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Window tint film wrinkles very easily. :( If it will stick to the plastic, it will look like crap very quickly.

A shop that makes tops for boats should be able to get the tinted plastic for you.

6. txfiremank5

Actually, I already know a place downtown that has it. They usually have good prices on everything else.. although I have not priced the tinted plastic. I doubt it would be too much.

More than likely I'll leave it the way it is for now. If I do end up running the soft-top a lot more than I thought, I will probably sell it and get a newer one. Theres no sense putting too much money into it.

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just wonder if the clingy/removable window tint would work.....anybody have a roll they wanna donate for testing purposes :D

8. txfiremank5

LOL, I had one of those eyebrows on my old 77 back in the 80's that was like that.

Hmm.... it is pretty tough. :thinking: