Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tip for before taking a trip.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rebelk5frk, Jun 15, 2003.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Well I just moved from GA back home to TX a couple of weeks ago and I figured I'd share my experiences from the trip.

The tip is: Make sure you have the right lug nuts and check the torque on them before driving 1000+ miles /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

It turns out I had the wrong type of lugnuts on my wheels and they worked loose. I made it about 4 hours from home and I lost my right rear wheel going about 75mph down the interstate while towing a vehicle on a tow dollie.

Luckily there was no real damage done and no one got hurt. I slid down the highway and into the median for about 600 feet before coming to a stop.... While waiting for the tow truck I managed to find my lost wheel about 50 feet in front of my blazer on the opposite side of the road.

Damage done.... 6 lugnuts, 6 lugs, brake drum, brake shoes, brake springs and linkage, and 1 gaping hole in my pocket after paying $400.00 for getting it towed away and repaired.

It took me 3 1/2 days to make a stupid 16 hour trip. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

It was the worst trip I've ever had. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

What do you mean you had the wrong lug nuts? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

dosent sound to good but glad to hear everybodys alright not not to much damage sounds like a good time for disk brakes though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    landsmasher there a size REAL close to the same size as 10bolt lugs that will go on but not real well I bet thats what he had

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow that sucks.it happened to my friends camaro. also watch out for people using a gun on aluminum wheel's. i almost lost my left front tire, because i was dumb enough not to retighten them. now i watch those punks to be sure they don't over tighten them and warp the rotor. word dog /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you mean you had the wrong lug nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

It needed lugnuts with a tapered short shank.... the ones on there were regular short shank nuts.