Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tip: T-25 male bolt head can use 4mm six point socket :D

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 2, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

was disassembling steering column in 97 isuzu pickup today and had to deal with a couple male torx bit T-25 bolt/screw heads and i found that 4mm six point socket will work, these screws are opposite of a normal torx bit screw head

thought i'd share this. i consider it to be a tip really.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Thank's for the tip.
    Usually when I run across a torx screw/bolt, it get's replaced with a phillip's head screw, or a hex bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just noticed, I hit 1500 post's with this one, whew! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thank's for the tip.
    Usually when I run across a torx screw/bolt, it get's replaced with a phillip's head screw, or a hex bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just noticed, I hit 1500 post's with this one, whew! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    congrats on posts, hehe

yeah i had removed them with nmeedle nose pliers but decided to see if i could get a small socket of some size to work and well found out 4mm works. ill make sure its T-25 in the AM, it possibly is T-27, its one or the other though, am 90% sure its the T-25 ones. i roginally wanted to find a 12 point socket to fit on these but never found one, but six point works, im not even sure if torx heads are 12 point anyways, dunno,
    so hmm.. but if they are then probably a small metric 12 point socket would be even better

would have replaced with something like that but its not my column and its metric wierd suff and pretty important being a steering column and stuff
    at a stuck point because the air bag ingiter coil assembly is jmissing one of the two mounting tabs, it broke off,,,,,
    uh oh..
    super glue and hope that its installed in exact right position or it can malfunction, i see that theres two arrows that point towards each other, the center part of the assmebly has one arrow and the outer part has the other, the center part rides inside of the outer, maybe someone here kniows what im talking about ont he later 90's GM air bag setups
    i hope that the arrows do point at each other when is correctly installed into the column, id hate to see it go off in the guy's face when he is driving the truck one day.

i reccommended not replacing the fuse for airbag, but he says he wants it.

so was like "well ok then, its your truck"
    im just concerned about truck operating safety and i think its safer with airbag disabled rather than enabled and possibly blowing in his face one day and causing a wreck and probably soemone else to get hurt too.,
    i dont think airbags should have ever been invented, they might be of help in high speedmajor accidents, but i dont know about in town lower speed accidents.
    i dont wanna be behind the wheel when the airbad fuse is replaced. i dont ever want to drive the truck again either.

this could be a large debate
    i get myself into the craziest stuff sometimes, well alot, like basically every single day basically. every one of these days turns into one heck of an adventure,or bunchof adventures, and thats while being unemployed and single and such, phew.

hmm..

thanks

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Air bags just don't go off - they need a trigger. That trigger is sent by the SIR moddual. The modual gets a it's information from several inputs, Vehicle speed, Ignition, Impact Sensors and so on. They are also capable of testing the integrity of the SIR system.
    The SIR Coil, is nothing more than a coil of wire, which allows the steering to be turned lock to lock - while maintaning continuity. The coil, can be installed incorrectly, which would bind and posibly break the wire contained inside. Causeing the system to be "open" - and would/should be discovered by the SIR self-test.
    The SIR modual would then send a signal to the IPC (if a failure was present) and iluminate the SIR indicator bulb, and it would/should default - causeing no-air-bag deployment - ever. (systems vary - but typicaly, the above holds true)

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn, that's a mouthful, uh, Sir!!!

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you can also generaly use an allen wrench to remove female torx head screws too. I have the coolest screwdriver bit set sitting at home that I picked up from a Radioshack.com retail outlet store when they were going out of business (70% off sale brought it down to $8 bucks or something) 152 bits, including security bits such as Torx with a center post, and etc.